New 75 Gallon Developing Quicker Than Expected

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Psytron

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So recently bought a new 75 gallon tank on August 2nd since my parents gave me a bunch of money to get a bit deeper into my aquarium stuff.

2 days later I had it setup with black sand and a hanging filter I had on my 55 gallon running with my canister filter. I also threw in 20 gallons of water from my 55 gallon to kick  up the cycling process.

On day 4 I took 2  Bloodfins from my 55 and put them into the 75 to see if that water was ready and they liked it but they looked anxious because they weren't in their school  so i took them out 4 hours later and felt it was time to get some fish.

Got 3 German blue rams ( from a local store ) and 3 Electric blues. Ordered a new canister filter and the medias. Also grabbed a bunch of extra plants from my 55 gallon.

Set it all up with all the new stuff I had recived

Once it was looking nice I noticed an Ich breakout when I move 2 Gold rams from quarantine to my show tank. "after a week in quarantine" 

The whole ich breakout stressed me and the fish out which I tried to treat with a garlic supplement and had no effect. So concerned for my dying fish ( 1 GBR and 2 EBR ) after 3 days with no improvement.i raise the temp from 83 to 92 during a hot Florida day just letting the heat raise it slowly. I got home from work to see the tank hot and the fish swimming around with their color back and not looking stressed or breathing heavy and the ich spores nowhere to be seen. I kept the tank between 88-92 for another day to ensure the ichs death while making sure that the tank had plenty of o2 doing 20% water changes daily for 3 days with my 55 gallon's air pump in the 75 gallon tank.

After the 3rd water change I let the tank go back to 82 degrees.

10344814_10153160990188009_5067884538494717706_n.jpg

Which I took the pic after the third water change and went to work.

Came home to find my GBR Male more aggressive than usual. Looked around to make sure everything was ok then I discovered him protecting a large nest of eggs.

Pretty excited about it. Not expecting a successful spawning considering the realism of how much the tank has gone through thus far and considering the tank is 3 weeks old.

And other info. Talked to the manager of the store I bought the EBR's from. the new girl didn't treat the tank they were in when they came in. Got my refund. Thinking of putting cardinal tetras in once things settle down a bit and the plants get larger.

Usually you treat ich for 2 weeks so hopefully it doesn't re-appear. Congratulations on the eggs!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back