New 240l Community Tank Questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sarahnya

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm relatively new to fish keeping so still getting to grips with things.

Currently I have a 100ltr tank which is stocked with the following :

4 Chain Loach
2 Otos
10 Diamond Tetra
4 Columbian Tetra
2 Neon Blue Goby
4 Guppies
4 Kuhli Loaches
1 African filter shrimp (baby)

Everyone is getting on well but they are getting bigger now so I'm upgrading a Juwel Rio 240ltr next month.

I'd like to know how many more fish if any I could add.

I'm not thinking masses more, just perhaps some more Kuhli, Otodex and Columbian to make up a nice group.

However to throw a spanner in the works I've seen some amazing blue Angelfish in my lfs. Would I have an issue putting 1 or two in the 240l?

I'm also a bit partial to Blue Gourami, any probs with these guys?

Good that you will soon be upgrading to a larger tank; that will hopefully prevent issues that would otherwise occur fro the mix of fish in a too small tank.

I don't know your source water parameters (GH, pH and KH) so I will leave that issue alone. The goby need more water current, and less warm temperatures, but neither should cause much difficulty for the other fish mentioned, though I personally would recommend the goby be in their own space...they could remain in the 100 liter tank perhaps?

Which brings me to the suggested additions. I would increase the Columbian Tetra to at least seven or eight total.

Gourami and angelfish are not good ideas here, due to the activity of the other fish, the water current, and the temperature. Please don't. I will make a couple general observations just for info sake. Angelfish are shoaling fish requiring a small group (five minimum), and at least a 4-foot tank. Tankmates must be sedate fish, no active swimmers, no possible fin nippers, and not small for the angelfish to consider food. Gourami are much the same but differ with respect to the species (numbers, etc), but the Blue Gourami is one of the most agressively-inclined species.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Byron.

My water is moderately hard according to the water board (8.9dGH), PH is 7.5 from the tap.

That's a shame about the Angels, I really love them but I guess it's one or the other!

Sorry it wasn't actually a Blue Gourami I saw, it was a little dwarf powder blue but I have also read they can sometimes get a bit funny with other fish, particularly Guppies lol

Water is fine. I would forget gourami at all, since they are sedate fish that live in ponds and quiet water and the current here (if the goby remain), lower temp, and active fish will bother gourami.

Thanks for that. I guess I have enough pretty fish to be going on with.

Stock wise how many more fish do you think I could add.

I definitely think I could do with a few more Chain Loach, Kuhli and as you said Columbian.

I do so love the Chain Loaches, they are total goof balls but would most definitely piss the Gourami off if they don't like active fish lol.

Increase the Columbian Tetra to 7-8 as mentioned. Otos could be increased with a couple more, but if those you have seem to be doing OK, up to you. These fish eat common algae, as does the goby, and with new of either it could be an issue at first.

Dwarf loaches could be increased with 2-3 more, but how long have you had the four? Loaches develop an hierarchy within the group, so adding more later may sometimes be difficult. With lots of chunks of wood for hiding places, plus each loach likes to select such a spot for their "home," this should work.

I would be concerned over the kuhli and dwarf loaches together...they are in a small space now and this can make a difference, inhibiting their behaviours (or sometimes the opposite). Do they seem to be getting along? Not all loaches like other loach species.

Another thing to recognize is that some fish are diurnal and some more nocturnal. The kuhli are active during darkness, and this can unsettle other fish. The tetra should manage, but fish like gourami and angelfish would not appreciate this, something to keep in mind for later. There is a lot to think about when combining species in an aquarium, much more than just behaviours.

Thanks.

The Kuhli have been in for a year but the Chain about 4 months. I should be getting the larger tank next week. I haven't noticed any problems with them yet, they seem to ignore each other for the most part, the Kuhli are usually on the bottom with the Chains bombing around all over.

I really do love the Chain Loaches, they are so much fun to watch chasing each other about.

Thanks.

The Kuhli have been in for a year but the Chain about 4 months. I should be getting the larger tank next week. I haven't noticed any problems with them yet, they seem to ignore each other for the most part, the Kuhli are usually on the bottom with the Chains bombing around all over.

I really do love the Chain Loaches, they are so much fun to watch chasing each other about.

I would get the additional dwarf chain loaches sooner rather than later, if the larger tank is a definite. It would be good to put the two groups into the new tank at the same time. If you can QT the new fish on their own, this can work fine.

I would get the additional dwarf chain loaches sooner rather than later, if the larger tank is a definite. It would be good to put the two groups into the new tank at the same time. If you can QT the new fish on their own, this can work fine.

That's just the excuse I needed to get more chain loach lol Just need to find someone with some healthy looking ones, I saw some the other day but they looked ropey.

4 Kuhli Loaches
I think you need to up the number of Kuhlis. The more the merrier.

I love Kuhlis and have 15 in a 2 foot tank with my Betta sorority,

My experience with Kuhlis.

When I first got Kuhlis I got 5 like everybody else and they were ok, they hid mostly only came out for food, Then I inherited 4 more after I added them to the tank I noticed that they felt more confident came out more, It was not uncommon to see all 9 doing their thing, I could even hold a pellet in my fingers on the bottom and the Kuhlis would eat the pellet from my fingers.
That was the tank I lost due to floods.

I have rebuilt and now have 15 of them and to be quite honest if I had it my way that would be the minimum number you could keep. Like I said the more the merrier, Given the tank setup with lots of cover for them to retreat too they become adventurous and even cheeky, Mine will happily compete with the Bettas for blood worm and other frozen food.

Its quite funny to watch then hanging from plants staring out of the tank, or are they spying on me for their overlords the Betta's?

Fish you cant trust them, sure they look nice and look cute when begging for food, but they know the ice caps are melting and that soon they will rule again.

I think you need to up the number of Kuhlis. The more the merrier.

I love Kuhlis and have 15 in a 2 foot tank with my Betta sorority,

My experience with Kuhlis.

When I first got Kuhlis I got 5 like everybody else and they were ok, they hid mostly only came out for food, Then I inherited 4 more after I added them to the tank I noticed that they felt more confident came out more, It was not uncommon to see all 9 doing their thing, I could even hold a pellet in my fingers on the bottom and the Kuhlis would eat the pellet from my fingers.
That was the tank I lost due to floods.

I have rebuilt and now have 15 of them and to be quite honest if I had it my way that would be the minimum number you could keep. Like I said the more the merrier, Given the tank setup with lots of cover for them to retreat too they become adventurous and even cheeky, Mine will happily compete with the Bettas for blood worm and other frozen food.

Its quite funny to watch then hanging from plants staring out of the tank, or are they spying on me for their overlords the Betta's?

Fish you cant trust them, sure they look nice and look cute when begging for food, but they know the ice caps are melting and that soon they will rule again.

That's great, I definitely need more if they get braver. Mine are pretty shy, I have 2 regular and 2 giant Kuhli. I really want some more of the bigger ones bit you don't see them in shops often!

Ooo just saw some black Kuhli loaches for sale cheap in my lfs.5 fir £10. I might pay for them now and add to big tank once it is up and running.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back