New 110L Tank And 15L Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mikeyy_lol

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi!
I got a 110L tank and 15L tank for christmas and already have a 60L up and running for ~4 months, I currently have 6 Celestial Pearl Danios, 2 Honey gouramis, 5 Kuhli loaches and 2 ADF's.

Now here is my dilemma, I want South American puffers, my girlfriend wants dwarf puffers. Now we both also don't want to have a 110L tank with only 3-4 inch of a single fish in it! Now I know I can get an armoured plec with both types of puffer but what do you think would be the best and least risky setup using dwarf/SAP? I intend on adding the other fish first so they can get their territory going before the puffs, and if the puff starts going on a rampage then he'll be going back to the store (Already checked if they'll take him :) )

Now I have no idea what to do with the 15L! I'm thinking something marine but I've heard clownfish are a bit too big for a dinky 15l? I have a spraybar so a betta is possible but if it's possible I'd LOVE a single marine fish in there.

Now for my last problem! I have an external filter That is suitable for a tank twice my size, I can't remember the exact name/brand but it's unique to maidenhead aquatics and was 2 second smallest one, how would I change the filter media over? How much would I put considering I changed my substrate from gravel to sand a week or 2 ago.

I'm thinking of adding a pair of Rams / Apistos aswell but I think the apistos will be too aggressive for my little danios. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

dont know all that much about marine fish but i know the water needs to be kept cleaner and less fish per gallon compared to tropical so i personally wouldnt bother trying a 15L marine set up, but you may be able to have some sort of marine shrimp or starfish or cucumber in there or something, as i said to im not a marine person, yet.

Id prob go for a betta in the 15L, make sure you wait for a nice boy :) could have some shrimp in there with him would prob go for smaller shimp maybe cherrys? dunno how big they get.

Never kept puffers either so cant help you on that :lol:

Also apistos should be ok with danios danios are fast moving and will mainly swim at the top of the tank, cichlids should stay more lower so i doubt thered be much problems.

dont know all that much about marine fish but i know the water needs to be kept cleaner and less fish per gallon compared to tropical so i personally wouldnt bother trying a 15L marine set up, but you may be able to have some sort of marine shrimp or starfish or cucumber in there or something, as i said to im not a marine person, yet.

Id prob go for a betta in the 15L, make sure you wait for a nice boy :) could have some shrimp in there with him would prob go for smaller shimp maybe cherrys? dunno how big they get.

Never kept puffers either so cant help you on that :lol:

Also apistos should be ok with danios danios are fast moving and will mainly swim at the top of the tank, cichlids should stay more lower so i doubt thered be much problems.
Thanks for the reply!
I'm hoping (praying) I could get a single smaller marine fish but it looks like it'll have to be a betta, though all the ones I've ever seen at all my LFS are just the average plain blue / plain red :( I had alot of the smaller shrimp in my 60L tank but they really were amazing escape artists!
My Danios tend to stay closer to the bottom though for some reason, I have a pretty strong current in there do you think that could be why?
Thanks.

Anyone else? I'm also adding food in my tank to cycle it as I can't really get to a boots for a week or 2 does anyone know how much approximately I should add?
Thanks.

Sorry to pester, just about to go to my LFS and looking for the go ahead with either apistos / rams (not sure which type of ram either? )

apistos and rams shoudl be fine, considered decent community fish, get a m/f pair, i guess 2 F is not a problem either. ive got 2 rams in my community and they're no hassle at all to anything else. i had an apisto till yesterday who was also no hassle.

apistos and rams shoudl be fine, considered decent community fish, get a m/f pair, i guess 2 F is not a problem either. ive got 2 rams in my community and they're no hassle at all to anything else. i had an apisto till yesterday who was also no hassle.
They didn't have any Apistos or bolivian rams which i was suprised at as they have a great selection! So instead I came back with a couple of dario darios and a couple of clown killis!

Your 60 litre tank is a great source for your next tank's cycle IMO. If it were up to me, I would simply clean the old filter in the new tank and then go about cycling the new tank as a "fishless cycle". What I would expect would be that the old tank would recover as always from a filter cleaning and the new tank would become very quickly cycled with that strong bacterial addition resulting from the filter cleaning. Using the "fishless cycling" approach on the new filter could reasonably be expected to result in a 7 day fishless cycle on that new filter.

Your 60 litre tank is a great source for your next tank's cycle IMO. If it were up to me, I would simply clean the old filter in the new tank and then go about cycling the new tank as a "fishless cycle". What I would expect would be that the old tank would recover as always from a filter cleaning and the new tank would become very quickly cycled with that strong bacterial addition resulting from the filter cleaning. Using the "fishless cycling" approach on the new filter could reasonably be expected to result in a 7 day fishless cycle on that new filter.
Awesome! Thats great news! I chopped up about a quarter of my filter sponge in the 60L and put it in the 110L, I've been adding fish food every other day and I mean ALOT of food tank currently is sitting at 0.5 ppm of ammonia & Nitrite, I'm not sure if the ammonia is getting changed fast or if fish food just doesn't break down into much ammonia?

Anyway, I'm regretting going against what I normally do and buying the dario darios without any research as I'm struggling to feed them!
I'll be getting some food for my incoming SAPs in the next week or so is there anything anyone suggests? Preferably that doesn't have to go in the fridge/freezer, is it possible to put some of the "frozen" food in the fridge?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back