Never observing betta poo...?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hhall5

Reaction score
I know this probably sounds silly, but I never observe my fish poo! I have 4 male better fish who have quite the appetite. I know they are going because they continue to eat, they do not show signs of being ill from parasites because they are all full of personality. It is also important to note that they are in heated, filtered 5 gal cycled tanks with regular water changes-- half of the tanks are planted with substrate and the other two are bare bottom with hide outs and free floating plants. They do not appear bloated regularly and when they occasionally do I fast them for a day and they seem fine. Should I be concerned and treat the tanks for parasites or let them be? I also find it odd that it happens to all of the tanks since I am very sanitary, could there be a possibility of cross contamination. I have also noticed that some small snails have hitched a ride form some plants-- could they be decomposing the solid waste? Thank you all!

I know this probably sounds silly, but I never observe my fish poo! I have 4 male better fish who have quite the appetite. I know they are going because they continue to eat, they do not show signs of being ill from parasites because they are all full of personality. It is also important to note that they are in heated, filtered 5 gal cycled tanks with regular water changes-- half of the tanks are planted with substrate and the other two are bare bottom with hide outs and free floating plants. They do not appear bloated regularly and when they occasionally do I fast them for a day and they seem fine. Should I be concerned and treat the tanks for parasites or let them be? I also find it odd that it happens to all of the tanks since I am very sanitary, could there be a possibility of cross contamination. I have also noticed that some small snails have hitched a ride form some plants-- could they be decomposing the solid waste? Thank you all!
Unless your fish's abdomen is severly shrunk or bloated in size do not worry about watching them poop. I've only seen my betta do it once in the year I've had him since his petco rescue. I sometimes see a bit when I siphon the tank. As long as your water is clean and parameters stable and your fish is behaving normally you have nothing to worry about.

Also, never treat with meds unless you are CERTAIN that they are needed. Med's cause more harm than good and should only be used when no other treatment option is effective. As for the snails? Most likely pests snails, others on here say they are good, I disagree. HOWEVER, population control for these snails should be easy as long as you arent over feeding your betta and having excess food just sitting around the tank.

bettas aren't big poopers like other fish..welll.. they don't poop all the time.. but their poop is more like a pellet/round then a string like other fish.. so they go and it's gone lol

i've never seen either of mine have a BM either but i'm sure there's a youtube video out there of a betta pooping lol

I once took a photo of Betta poop on a leaf, People thought I was strange.

Even when I had 5 females in the 2 footer I only saw Betta poop on leaves once or twice.

Don't worry too much. I rarely witness my bettas poo either. When they do go, it is quick and small unlikely other fish that swim around with their poo trailing behind.

If you really want to see them poo, hold a mirror up to make them flare after a feeding. Flaring = poop ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back