Nerite Snails, Please!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

woodstock

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I have some betta fish right now. In the future, I'm planning on adding one or more nerite snails (and if not that, mystery snails). However, I've had trouble finding enough info on all of them. My main questions are:

Focusing on water needs, would both the betta and nerite snail's water needs be able to be met together?

How will I know when my nerite is hungry? Especially without waiting too long until starvation?
If I feed it an algae wafer, is it able to over feed itself?
Will it eat vegetables? (I've heard mystery and apple snails can)
Has it caused any issues that should be brought to my attention?
How has your snail helped you, I'd love a Pro / Con list as well.

Also, if possible, I'd like these answered for mystery snails as well. Thank you very much in advance!

I cant answer all the questions but will try. Nerite and apple snails are not fussy creatures just provide them warm decholrinated water with good food source and you are on your way!

Just treat the nerite like another occupant and feed when you think necessary. I have some in a community tank and know getting food from what I drop in and also vegtables, when they were in with bettas, used to every couple of days drop bits and pieces in for them.

Tehy both certainly can have veggies, try different ones such as zucchini, courgette, cucumber, lettuce, etc (Some may need to blanch/soften up)

Has my snail helped me? Well the nerite did a fantastic job with a algae problem I had and havent really had it since, that is a definate pro, he also is very attractively striped, another pro. One con is he poops ALOT!

See, that's my problem. When is "necessary"? (I'm not considering mystery anymore after some more research, lol) Would I be able to leave an algae wafer in there and let it eat as necessary? As take it out if uneaten? And would I just do this once everyday?

I'm more into the snails because they seem adorable, rather than just for algae issues (I'm one of a kind, aren't I? Lol). What I'll do for actual algae is : Put a bucket aside in direct sunlight. In the water, I'll have some rocks, and I'll feed with fish food in there, so algae will grow. Anything wrong with this? And if I use this method, how fast will algae grow?

And how will nerites detect food! Can they smell? Or ... sensors? Lol. Yes, I'm quite demanding with questions, no worries if you can't answer them all!

And he poops a lot? That's on the contary to what I heard, but you have experience, so....
... and do they eat wastes too? No, right? I've only read this only a couple sites. Thank you!

I have a nerite snail in a tank with female bettas, they are excellent at keeping algae down and beautiful to look at, though if you are wanting a snail more for the cuteness factor than algae eating then an apple snail may be the way to go :nod: they are more mobile around the tank and show their tentacles and little eyes more :lol: (though may be prone to picking from a betta) nerites tend to keep themselves to themselves tightly hugging their shell as they go about their business, apples are more likely to eat veg where as a nerite would prefer algae but does eat veg if there is nothing else, nerites won't touch plants if you have any where as apples may, apples also produce more waste than nerites and grow much bigger, that's my experiences on both :good:

I have a nerite snail in a tank with female bettas, they are excellent at keeping algae down and beautiful to look at, though if you are wanting a snail more for the cuteness factor than algae eating then an apple snail may be the way to go :nod: they are more mobile around the tank and show their tentacles and little eyes more :lol: (though may be prone to picking from a betta) nerites tend to keep themselves to themselves tightly hugging their shell as they go about their business, apples are more likely to eat veg where as a nerite would prefer algae but does eat veg if there is nothing else, nerites won't touch plants if you have any where as apples may, apples also produce more waste than nerites and grow much bigger, that's my experiences on both :good:

Well I would also like some algae cleaning as well, though. I'm not fond of apple snails and their growing factor. And the pooping factor! No pooping! Please! Lol. That's why apple snails were a slight turn off. It doesn't have to be the cutest snail on the market! Haha.

Well, I'm choosing my selection of snails from Petco. They actually seem to have a lot...

Here is the link. I'd appreciate if you could tell me if you had any experience with them!
http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_ProductList_PC_productlist_Nav_668_N_10876_CoreCat_Corals+Invertebrates_cp_2_Nao_48.aspx?Ns=P_FamilyName%7c0

I can get Mystery and/or Apple snails at Petsmart if I had to. But I seriously can't find a lot of info on them! So I'm asking personally. Thanks for all help!

I forgot to mention!!

I need a snail that can tolerate salt (like a nerite, lol). I do use aquarium salt, and I'd prefer NOT to stop just because of a snail. I know nerites can definitely tolerate some salt, and they won't breed in freshwater (yesssssss!) so that was a huge turn on pro for me :)

See, that's my problem. When is "necessary"? (I'm not considering mystery anymore after some more research, lol) Would I be able to leave an algae wafer in there and let it eat as necessary? As take it out if uneaten? And would I just do this once everyday?

Yea put it in and just remove it; I do this with my shrimp. If you find they eat it all then put 2 in - basically I think it's trial and error until you get a good idea; but if you feed once a day then it's a good start.

I see, thanks. Have you had experience with betta before? I wouldn't be surprised if my betta decided to eat some as well. Would he stop eventually? I could imagine so, but anything could happen.

Also, would algae wafers promote algae growth? And if I leave it overnight, and parts of it is found uneaten, how toxic will it become to the tank? (Let's say I feed the snail, and I fall asleep. This kind of scenario).

I see, thanks. Have you had experience with betta before? I wouldn't be surprised if my betta decided to eat some as well. Would he stop eventually? I could imagine so, but anything could happen.

Also, would algae wafers promote algae growth? And if I leave it overnight, and parts of it is found uneaten, how toxic will it become to the tank? (Let's say I feed the snail, and I fall asleep. This kind of scenario).

It's not the end of the world if you forget to take the food out; all my shrimp were still eating the algae wafer when I went to bed so I just left it in. It'll just mean you need to clean the tank more. I've not noticed an increase in Algae growth and I use the wafers in two tanks.

As for a betta and shrimp I was advised NO. The betta WILL eat the shrimplets and probably will eat all of the shrimp.

Yeah, I wouldn't want shrimp with betta either. Too risky. I'd rather keep them in a seperate tank with seperate fish lol.

Thanks a lot! I may (or may not) get them soon, but I will definitely get one nerite snail, and one mystery snail, when the time comes. I have plastic mesh I can make a cover in the tank, so the nerite doesn't get out (hopefully). Already excited, lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back