Nerite snail shell deteriorating

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Yes, tetras will usually school together given they have the same body shape and size. He will be fine with them and very happy in a group of 30!!

Also just touching on the milk, most humans don't have the right enzymes to digest milk only baby cows do! :)

I brought my neon to his new home yesterday. The transition went really well and the new owner said he was excited to join the school of cardinals. So happy to hear that!

Next step is to change the chemistry of this snail and shrimp tank. I'll buy a test kit this week.

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 205
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    902.6 KB · Views: 222
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 205
Aw that's good to hear! I bet he'll be so happy!
I had a goldfish koi hybrid that out grew my tank and started eating his tank mates, I looked for a home for him for a month before I departed with him, he ended up in west Yorkshire (about two hours away from me) in a massive pond with a natural spring running into it with other gold fish. I turned down so many others before I found this one... Bit like you really!
Let us know how you get on with your tank :)

I brought my neon to his new home yesterday. The transition went really well and the new owner said he was excited to join the school of cardinals. So happy to hear that!

Next step is to change the chemistry of this snail and shrimp tank. I'll buy a test kit this week.
So excellent to read this! Look at that new home!!!! Wow!!!

Aw that's good to hear! I bet he'll be so happy!
I had a goldfish koi hybrid that out grew my tank and started eating his tank mates, I looked for a home for him for a month before I departed with him, he ended up in west Yorkshire (about two hours away from me) in a massive pond with a natural spring running into it with other gold fish. I turned down so many others before I found this one... Bit like you really!
Let us know how you get on with your tank :)

Isn't it a great feeling knowing they're going to a better home?

Last edited:
I don''t know. But I would guess that at best it would slow it down. A worst it would have no effect on the shell. However it could increases plant growth, lowering CO2 a little bit and help stabilize mineral levels in the aquarium. It is smply a no risk thing that can be tried. Once you have the GH and KH numbers we taller a treatment to insure the water is safe.

I finally tested and got results.

GH - 120 mg/L
KH - 65 mg/L

PH is around 7

GH - 120 mg/L
KH - 65 mg/L

PH is around 7

I also recall seeing the shrimp cleaning the snail's shell a few weeks ago. I'm starting to think it wasn't cleaning but maybe consuming calcium?

GH - 120 mg/L
KH - 65 mg/L

PH is around 7

Was that for the tank water or your tap water? I would measure both. If you also have a bucket of water outgassing for a future water change, also test that water. However all that said you current water GH and KH levels should be safe for your snail and shrimp. I would not expect any significant erosion at those GH and KH levels.

My guess is that your water might have been different in the past. Your tap water should be checked periodically for any changes that may occur. The other possibility is that your CO2 system or drop checker might not be working correctly. If you put too much CO2 into the tank The water will turn acidic and acidic water will erode the snail shell. I would replace the test solution in the drop checker with fresh solution. IF you are making your own 4dKH solution verify you are using distilled water and adding the correct amount of sodium bicarbonate.

I finally tested and got results. GH - 120 mg/L KH - 65 mg/L PH is around 7

Last edited:

Was that for the tank water or your tap water? I would measure both. If you also have a bucket of water outgassing for a future water change, also test that water. However all that said you current water GH and KH levels should be safe for your snail and shrimp. I would not expect any significant erosion at those GH and KH levels.

My guess is that your water might have been different in the past. Your tap water should be checked periodically for any changes that may occur. The other possibility is that your CO2 system or drop checker might not be working correctly. If you put too much CO2 into the tank The water will turn acidic and acidic water will erode the snail shell. I would replace the test solution in the drop checker with fresh solution. IF you are making your own 4dKH solution verify you are using distilled water and adding the correct amount of sodium bicarbonate.

I finally tested and got results. GH - 120 mg/L KH - 65 mg/L PH is around 7

Thanks for the quick response.

That was for the tank water. I will need to test what you have mentioned.

My drop checker is probably about 4 years old. I'll replace the solution and will report back with any results.

My drop checker is probably about 4 years old. I'll replace the solution and will report back with any results.

I don't have a CO2 system but I have read in other places that people replace the fluid in the drop checker during the weekly water change. You might be able to go a month without soution degrading but I wouldn't go longer than that. All aquarium have at least a very small amount of chlorine in the water. If that out gases it can affect the alkalinity of the solution in the drop checker. That could then result a reading error and a CO2 shift.

I don't have a CO2 system but I have read in other places that people replace the fluid in the drop checker during the weekly water change. You might be able to go a month without soution degrading but I wouldn't go longer than that. All aquarium have at least a very small amount of chlorine in the water. If that out gases it can affect the alkalinity of the solution in the drop checker. That could then result a reading error and a CO2 shift.

Oh wow. Okay I'll need to change mine ASAP. My instruction booklet did not mention anything about replacing the solution.

Yes, it's nature as the one is claiming its territory, however, the other neon tetras did not have many places to escape to and saw them slamming into the glass, or find a spot in the tank only to be found by the bully again and be chased. The others got stressed out or sick and some died of old age. The tank is too small for fish and I'm sure they would be happier in the wild (ocean, lakes, streams, etc). That's the reason why I did not get more for this one neon tetra - I do not want to support the fish industry anymore.

FISH DO NOT BELONG IN TANKS!
Just because you failed to provide your fish with the correct parameters and a happy home doesn’t mean the rest of us are doing something wrong. Fishkeeping is difficult, and you may lose a few along the way, but less fish will be lost in a caring and experienced fishkeeper’s tank than in their natural habitat. For example, if a fish in captivity gets sick, it has an owner there to research what is wrong and fix it. In the wild, there is no such mediator and the fish dies. Yes, there are inexperienced fishkeepers, and that does suck, but most of us are doing our very best to provide them with a happy and healthy home. Besides- Do you eat meat? Do you have other pets? If so, you’re a pretty big hypocrite for standing on this soap box of animal rights.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back