Nerite snail shell deteriorating

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
you shouldn't need help then with your problem, anymore that is, I found your solution
step 1: admit to yourself over a period of 1 month that you have given up this hobby
step 2: blame the "industry"
step 3: mourn for the fish that are born "in the industry" even though you know well you cant do anything about it.
step 4: give all your tank supplies and fish away to someone who actually is happy to take care of fish and aquatic life, and gives there all to try to make the best environment possible for these kind little creatures!
Also I can tell you right now everyone on this forum has at least 1+ years experience with fish and has done some fine research on everything they have and will have. And most try there best to put there beautiful well taken care of fish in as natural of an environment as possible or what they think is best for the fish.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/
dedicated fish keepers all around
Also your "no tank is big enough for a fish" is just as equal as saying "no world is big enough for 1 person"

1. I don't have to admit to myself that I've given up on the hobby because that decision was made 3 years ago. I continue to care for this tank because I have a responsibility to keep these enhabitants alive and happy.

2. I do blame the industry and everything about it. More needs to be done to help regulate it and hold people accountable.

3. I do feel sorry for all of these creatures, and I damn well know I have the attitude and CAN do something about it.

4. I want to keep my tank. I have very beautiful plants.

Look, I don't mean to argue with you. I understand there are many responsible and knowledgable fish owners out there but there are probably just as many who aren't. Possibly more. That's why I don't agree with this hobby. To each their own.

honestly your starting to legit creep me out slightly, yes I've seen how they farm fish its not new to any experienced fish keeper... maybe you realize that now as you've pretty much called us all stupid. if your tetra has been alone for 2 years you should be ashamed of yourself, for being "one of those un experienced irresponsible fish keepers." that's the equivalent of keeping 1 person by himself for 2 years with no contact to anyone. despicable...

Lol. It's all good but I'm glad I'm making people think about this.

I'm not calling anyone stupid but I do believe we do not have the right to take creatures out of their environment for our own selfish pleasures and I definitely know breeding them for this purpose is just as wrong.

I admit. I am ashamed but you've got to understand I did not want to buy anymore fish for reasons I explained. I do need to find it a new home though, I think. I'll need to weigh out the pros and cons. At this point in time I am leaning towards finding him a new home.

Thanks for your help BettaBettas.

I feel really bad for your snail and have heard that getting them a calcium supplement can help but honestly I think yours is beyond help.

Cuttlefish bone, eggshells etc. I'm sure there are a few ways to get calcium to them just try googling it.

I also feel bad for you as it seems you've got bigger issues than unhappiness over the fish hobby industry.

If what you are trying to say is true than we shouldn't have any pet, let alone fish.

There will always be those that don't do right by a fish or a dog or even a human...and yes that's terrible but what we can do is come to places like this and offer help to those searching for it (which means they are doing right by their pet).

And we can take our knowledge and compassion and love our pets and give them wonderful lives.

And if anyone chooses not to own a pet, that's their call but they shouldn't fly their oppinion flag of doom over a community that so enjoys the hobby.

Good luck,
I hope you and your snail are ok...and the neon.

I'd just like to point out that nature is brutal. A very small fraction of fry make it to the adult stage. Only a few of the captive bred fish would survive in the wild if they would be released today. The rest would make a lovely meal for whatever predator is dominant in that environment. The fish in my tank are healthy, fed, and don't need to worry about a predator eating them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd just like to point out that nature is brutal. A very small fraction of fry make it to the adult stage. Only a few of the captive bred fish would survive in the wild if they would be released today. The rest would make a lovely meal for whatever predator is dominant in that environment. The fish in my tank are healthy, fed, and don't need to worry about a predator eating them.

Well said.

Thanks for your reply. I did do a test and my PH is actually between 6-7. My GH and KH I believe are very low, almost non existent. I also have a CO2 tank pumping CO2 into the tank during light hours (6.5 hours).

How do you control the CO2? Do you know the concentration in the water and do you have a drop checker? If not I would advise you to turn off the CO2.
what other fertilizer are you using?

Information on a drop checker:
http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/2011/02/drop-checker-in-planted-aquarium.html

CO2 is NOT required to grow plants in an aquarium. Also CO2 needs to be carefully controlled to insure a stable environment. If too much gets in there it in can kill the animals in the aquarium by suffocating them and increasing the acidity of the water.

I would recommend that you get a test kit for monitoring your GH and KH. I use Tetra 6 in 1 strips to monitor PH, KH, Total chlorine, GH, nitrite, and nitrate. It is the lowest cost method I know of to monitor GH and KH and it is reasonably accurate. Due to your CO2 system crushed coral cannot be added to your aquarium to increase GH and KH. The interaction between CO2 and crushed coral would make your water excessively hard. Use the test kit to determine your KH and GH of your tap water and your tank water, and outgassed water in your bucket.. In your case they probably will be different. We will need this information before I can advise you on a corse of action.

I feel really bad for your snail and have heard that getting them a calcium supplement can help but honestly I think yours is beyond help.

Cuttlefish bone, eggshells etc. I'm sure there are a few ways to get calcium to them just try googling it.

I also feel bad for you as it seems you've got bigger issues than unhappiness over the fish hobby industry.

If what you are trying to say is true than we shouldn't have any pet, let alone fish.

There will always be those that don't do right by a fish or a dog or even a human...and yes that's terrible but what we can do is come to places like this and offer help to those searching for it (which means they are doing right by their pet).

And we can take our knowledge and compassion and love our pets and give them wonderful lives.

And if anyone chooses not to own a pet, that's their call but they shouldn't fly their oppinion flag of doom over a community that so enjoys the hobby.

Good luck,
I hope you and your snail are ok...and the neon.

Thanks. I'll look into calcium supplements and how it affects the balance of the aquarium. I need to be sure whatever I do will be okay for the shrimp and neon tetra.

And just to add, yes, I do believe we should not own any pets. Cats and dogs have been domesticated over hundreds of years so there is a bit of an exception there. Rescue pets are fine by me as well if they are placed in a better environment.

Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate and love communities like these. We are all here to help each other. I just have an issue with the unregulated industry and clueless people out there who take on this hobby not knowing anything about it, myself included. It's almost like we need to have a license first before owning fish. Something needs to be done about the pet industry and more people need to be aware of what goes on BEHIND THE SCENES of this hobby.

http://www.peta.org/issues/companion-animal-issues/companion-animals-factsheets/fish-tanks-thanks/

Compassion for all life!

Last edited:

Yeah, nature is brutal, but it's also natural. I think you're missing my point though. Take a look at the link below:

http://www.peta.org/issues/companion-animal-issues/companion-animals-factsheets/fish-tanks-thanks/

We don't have to breed fish! I'm happy your fish are healthy, fed, and safe, but what about the other billions of factory farmed pet fish? Who knows where they'll end up, let alone how they got there (travelling in small bags/containers for weeks). You sound like a responsible owner but there are many who are not.

When I first got my neon tetras, 3 died right away. Why? Because I listened to the person working at the fish store who sold me the fish and told me to simply float the bag in the tank for 15 minutes so they can get acclimated to the water temperature. She did not mention ANYTHING about getting them acclimated to the PH level which is way more important than the stupid water temperature. This is one example. Think about how many times this might have happened in the past to millions of first time fish owners. How many more will occur in the future? These are the types of things I am talking about. This industry needs to be regulated. Everyone involved needs to be accountable, including pet owners. After that, at some point, I hope the industry will cease to exist.

How do you control the CO2? Do you know the concentration in the water and do you have a drop checker? If not I would advise you to turn off the CO2.
what other fertilizer are you using?

Information on a drop checker:
http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/2011/02/drop-checker-in-planted-aquarium.html

CO2 is NOT required to grow plants in an aquarium. Also CO2 needs to be carefully controlled to insure a stable environment. If too much gets in there it in can kill the animals in the aquarium by suffocating them and increasing the acidity of the water.

I would recommend that you get a test kit for monitoring your GH and KH. I use Tetra 6 in 1 strips to monitor PH, KH, Total chlorine, GH, nitrite, and nitrate. It is the lowest cost method I know of to monitor GH and KH and it is reasonably accurate. Due to your CO2 system crushed coral cannot be added to your aquarium to increase GH and KH. The interaction between CO2 and crushed coral would make your water excessively hard. Use the test kit to determine your KH and GH of your tap water and your tank water, and outgassed water in your bucket.. In your case they probably will be different. We will need this information before I can advise you on a corse of action.

I do have a regulator and drop checker. Actually, I make sure my drop checker is green with a bit of blue and not completely green. The only fert I use are root tabs.

I understand CO2 is not required but my plants, especially my red melon sword suffer without it. I care more for the snail though so I will look into stopping my CO2, which is only on for 6.5 hours a day when my light is on.

Let me get a test kit first to see where my GH and KH is at. I'll test my water before shutting off my CO2. I'll report back this weekend. Thanks Steve!

Last edited:
That's a bit of a blanket statement...

There is nothing wrong with keeping fish in tanks if the fishkeeper ensures that the tank, and any tankmates, are appropriate for the fish's needs and allows them to express their natural behaviours. A Fluval Edge is big enough for fish, if the inhabitants are chosen carefully (I have one myself, home to a single dwarf puffer).

It is unfair to keep a shoaling fish on its own. If you don't want to support the industry, then that's fine and a choice only you can make for yourself, but do, please, rehome the neon to someone who has a shoal for it to join.

FYI, I have placed an ad for my neon tetra, Zip. Looking for a good home for him:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-fish/winnipe...er/1220606156?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Also, saw the neighboring ad. The fish in this guy's tank look so happy, right? (sarcasm)
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-fish/winnipeg/18-arowana-fish/1220591602?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Hi,
I usually give my inverts a calcium block, the particular brand I buy doesnt change the PH or GH of your water, I live in a soft water area and I was accidentally sent some Spixi snails in the post (I ordered shrimp food and was sent snails) they arrived with cracked shells poor things, so I started them on the calcium blocks that I feed my ramshorns, MTS and Shrimp, the calcium is digestible and safe from Aqualibra, after a couple of weeks the shells had new growth and the cracks didnt bother them. I dont know if you can get this in Canada but you can check.
http://www.aqualibra.uk/product-information
if you cant, try a vacation feeder block, or a cuttle bone weighted down.

I have read that you can fix the shell your self, with clear nail polish but I cant really comment on this as I have no experience and dont have all the facts.

Hi,
I usually give my inverts a calcium block, the particular brand I buy doesnt change the PH or GH of your water, I live in a soft water area and I was accidentally sent some Spixi snails in the post (I ordered shrimp food and was sent snails) they arrived with cracked shells poor things, so I started them on the calcium blocks that I feed my ramshorns, MTS and Shrimp, the calcium is digestible and safe from Aqualibra, after a couple of weeks the shells had new growth and the cracks didnt bother them. I dont know if you can get this in Canada but you can check.

I have read that you can fix the shell your self, with clear nail polish but I cant really comment on this as I have no experience and dont have all the facts.

Thanks so much! I'll definitely look into it!

Also, I like your thinking, Im a vegan and all my pets are rescued, I recently started thinking about my fish and decided not to buy any more, I do everything in my power to give them a happy environment, but less demand means less supply which means less caught from the wild where they are truly free....
Most of my fish shrimp and snails that are left are tank bred, they will also be my last. My fish will only be rescue fish if the time ever arises.

Hi,

I have read algae wafers have calcium in it, along with spinich or any dark green leaves. I do have algae wafers but stopped dropping it into my tank as I thought it was not necessary. I will try this as soon as I get home.

Also, I like your thinking, Im a vegan and all my pets are rescued, I recently started thinking about my fish and decided not to buy any more, I do everything in my power to give them a happy environment, but less demand means less supply which means less caught from the wild where they are truly free....
Most of my fish shrimp and snails that are left are tank bred, they will also be my last. My fish will only be rescue fish if the time ever arises.

That's great! I'm a vegan as well and I made the change after one of my neons died about 3 years ago.

Thanks for sharing!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back