nerite snail dying?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hy3gons

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I've had a nerite for three or four months now, and a few days ago I found it upside down on the bottom of the tank. I gave it a sniff, it was alive.

Anyways, I placed it on top of a decoration a few days ago, and it hasn't moved since then. I pulled it out of the tank today. It smells more fishy than it used to, but the trapdoor was tightly shut. I gave it a little shake and it stayed shut.

I'm certain the snail is dying, but how long should I leave it in the tank? I don't know if it's dead yet and would hate to toss a living creature in a garbage bin...

Sometimes nerites can be very stubborn and shut down simply because they don't like the water or because they are not finding enough food.
Is your nerite a true fresh water nerite or was it converted to fresh water? If it has been converted to fresh sometimes gradually reintroducing them to brackish water can give them a kick start.

I would put it in a cup of tank water with a small chunk of algae wafer and let it float around to keep it warm. If it's still alive then it should be interesting in eating and go for the food.

I have a zebra nerite.
When I got him, he was super active. All over the tank and plants and wood and back. The tank was pristine in two days.
Then he vanished a few days later. I couldn't find him for almost 6 weeks!
I was sure he was dead.
Then one day he reappeared and has been happy and active since.
Strange little creatures.

Most reactions

Back