Neon Tetras

Shred

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
In my community tank I have a mixed group of cardinal and neon tetras. I noticed about 3 weeks ago that one neon was hiding away, and looked like it had lost a lot of colour (and just generally looked unwell), it was also chattering its jaw, ie opening and closing it rapidly. A few days later its condition didn't improve and I found that it was hugging the bottom of the tank and still hiding away, it really didn't look good and I decided rather than having it suffer, or worse still infecting other fish, I would euthanise it.

I've just noticed today that another neon tetra has the same problem, though it hasn't lost much of its colour yet. I'm really disappointed and I hope this isn't a disease that will sweep through the whole shoal. If anyone knows what it is or has any suggestions please reply.

Tank size: 200 litre

pH, etc: (dont have a test kit, been keeping fish for years and never used one, just doing regular water changes and using common sense.)

tank temp: 26C

Volume and Frequency of water changes: Once a week, 20-25%

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: None

Tank inhabitants: Sparkling gourami, honey gourami, 10 cardinal, 7 neon tetras, tiger plec, , bamboo shrimp, 3 amano shrimp.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): None

Exposure to chemicals: None

Thanks for your help.

You need to get your water tested as it the first thing to look at when fish dosn't look well.
Take a sample of your water to the lfs and ask them to write the readings down for you.

Was the red stripe area bleached out.
Does the red stripe area look like a milky substance.
Any black linning around the red area.
Does the blue area look yellowish.
Any lumps that go to a point in the tummy region.
Are any of the neons look restless and swim in an odd manor.
Any signs of popeye or dropsy.

The fading could be due to bad water quality also.

Was the red stripe area bleached out. Yes
Does the red stripe area look like a milky substance. Not really milky no.
Any black linning around the red area. No
Does the blue area look yellowish. No I dont think so
Any lumps that go to a point in the tummy region. No
Are any of the neons look restless and swim in an odd manor. No, all the others seem fine
Any signs of popeye or dropsy. No

I will do my best with the water sample but I live quite far from my lfs and I dont drive, so it is quite a problem.

Ok. It dosn't sound like neon tetra desease.
But you really need to get your water tested, as being faded can be due to bad water quality.
Neons are very sensitive fish.
For now water change and increase aeration.

Ok but what about the jaw movement? I've got a 10X an hour filter running and a spray bar, plus the tank is heavily planted, so I dont think its a oxygen issue.

Check the fish you keep that you are keeping the tank at the right temp.
Check his mouth area for white bleached out lips, cotton strand, fluffy cotton wool, sores.
Check the gills over to see if they look pale with excess mucas or red and inflamed.

Really need to know water stats.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back