image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    912.8 KB · Views: 277
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 253
Is this Neon tetra sick? It has a white bubble like growth on the side of its mouth

I am not very experienced with disease issues so I will not guess but leave it for others.

There are different opinions depending which site you read. Some say the white line inside the bubble is a worm, others say it is a fungus. The thing all the sites say is that it is not treatable as the bubble protects whatever the white thing actually against medication. Neon and cardinal tetras seem to be the fish most commonly affected. A lot of hits do report that the bubbles eventually fall off and the fish recovers completely except the cases where the bubble is on the gill.

All I can suggest is that you google dermosporidia and see if there is any new info out there since I last looked several years ago. I once had this on a cardinal tetra and never knew what it was till I read the thread in the link in my last post. In my case, it was a newly purchased fish that was so small I didn't notice anything in the shop tank, it was only when it was in my quarantine tank that I saw it had several of these bubbles, and since I didn't know what it was I put the fish down rather than risk the others getting it too.

There are different opinions depending which site you read. Some say the white line inside the bubble is a worm, others say it is a fungus. The thing all the sites say is that it is not treatable as the bubble protects whatever the white thing actually against medication. Neon and cardinal tetras seem to be the fish most commonly affected. A lot of hits do report that the bubbles eventually fall off and the fish recovers completely except the cases where the bubble is on the gill.

All I can suggest is that you google dermosporidia and see if there is any new info out there since I last looked several years ago. I once had this on a cardinal tetra and never knew what it was till I read the thread in the link in my last post. In my case, it was a newly purchased fish that was so small I didn't notice anything in the shop tank, it was only when it was in my quarantine tank that I saw it had several of these bubbles, and since I didn't know what it was I put the fish down rather than risk the others getting it too.

I thought the same and put the neon down

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back