Neon Tetra In Brackisk Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

crownbetta

Reaction score
I want to keep neons guppy and glass fish together, i'v read that glass fish do well in brackish water but some said that they are freshwater fish.
i am confused, and i want to know if i can keep all the 3 species of fish i mentioned above in freshwater or brackish water?
thanks

depending on the species of glassfish they are indeed brackish, however there are a couple of species that are truly freshwater,
but neons are not.

to get the best answer for you we need to know the scientific names for all your fish

The common glassfish of the trade is Parambassis ranga. Although tolerant of brackish water, it's a freshwater fish. Anything that suits neons will suit glassfish. I keep my glassfish in around neutral, moderately hard water (pH 7.2, 10 degrees dH).

Cheers, Neale

I don't know the exact name, ( new to fish world) but they are painted glass fish in many colors, the neon tetra is the ones with blue,red and silver stripes and finaly cuppies the fancy ones
what if i keep them all together in freshwater with a little salt only like 2 teaspoon of salt mixed with 20 gallon freshwater?

The common glassfish of the trade is Parambassis ranga. Although tolerant of brackish water, it's a freshwater fish. Anything that suits neons will suit glassfish. I keep my glassfish in around neutral, moderately hard water (pH 7.2, 10 degrees dH).

Cheers, Neale
Do you keep other kind of fish together with your glass fish?

Don't buy painted glass fish.

They have a very poor survivability rate because of how they are dyed.

They pick up the fish out of the water, use a needle to inject the dye under the fishes skin. They then put it back and use the same needle on another fish.

There are other even more cruel sounding ways that fish are dyed too

It's a horrible process, and most of the fish die before ending up in store tanks, then the ones that make it to your tank are far more likely to get diseases, and will live shorter lives than the regular fish.

Do not support shops that stock died species.

Read this page: [URL="http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=72"]http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...p?article_id=72[/URL].

Don't buy painted glass fish.

They have a very poor survivability rate because of how they are dyed.

They pick up the fish out of the water, use a needle to inject the dye under the fishes skin. They then put it back and use the same needle on another fish.

There are other even more cruel sounding ways that fish are dyed too

It's a horrible process, and most of the fish die before ending up in store tanks, then the ones that make it to your tank are far more likely to get diseases, and will live shorter lives than the regular fish.

Do not support shops that stock died species.

Read this page: <a href="http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=72" target="_blank">http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...p?article_id=72</a>.
Thank you for the info...
where can i find non painted glass fish, i haven't seen any at the LFS..is it possible to get them online?

Just to reiterate: you do not need to, and ideally shouldn't, keep glassfish in brackish water. They are FRESHWATER fish that in some cases coming from blackwater streams where the water is very soft and acidic! Frank Schaefer described then rather nicely in the Aqualog book as "brackish water fishes that aren't". Sure, they'll tolerate brackish water conditions, but they certainly don't need them, and will live perfectly well in good quality freshwater.

They aren't like mollies, violet gobies, figure-8 puffers, etc. that are sold as freshwater fish but rarely do well in such. Those fish genuinely need brackish water to do well.

You can keep glassfish with most anything. They're very efficient predators and will eat small fish including livebearer fry, and one of my specimens (unfortunately) ate a juvenile carp about the size of a neon tetra. They'd likely eat shrimps too. But apart from that, they're good community fish if a bit boisterous. Mine live well alongside halfbeaks, South American puffers, irrubesco puffers, diamond tetras, bleeding heart tetras and various catfish.

I agree 100% with three-fingers above re: painted glassfish. Do not buy them. Not only is it absolutely barbaric how they paint them, it also makes the glassfish dramatically more prone to the viral disease lymphocystis. What's the point of getting a luminous green glassfish if it's going to be covered with tumours for months or years? Plain vanilla glassfish are infinitely better fish. They're feisty, hanging about in gangs chasing each other about. They live for several years and provided they're feeding are basically hardy, low-maintenance fish that make a great alternative to tetras or barbs.

Cheers, Neale

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back