Neon Tetra Help! Disease?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sanyam

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a problem, one of my tetras is sick and I do not know what disease it is. I need help. I thought it is ich and have been treating for ich for over a week now. the funny thing is that it is the only fish infected in the whole aquarium even if they were together over 3 days. I now isolated it and treating with acriflavin. Please see the pictures attached.

Sanyam

Attachments

• cutmypic (1).png
    cutmypic (1).png
    13.3 KB · Views: 633
  • cutmypic.png
    cutmypic.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 672
I had some get that, just not so bad.  Sadly they never got better so I had to get rid of them so it didn't spread.  I never had much luck with teras.  Keep treating and look into what else it could be.  Hope the little guy gets better! :( 

I believe it's NTD (neon tetra diesease) and from my understanding it's incurable :( Now, I have been wrong and the past and will be again, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I'm sorry about your fish :(

HI!

As I read and experienced ( NTD is a fast killer. If the fish gets it, it won't survive a half day. Ours fully lost color and whitened out. From the pictures you posted, I think it was some fin disease, maybe Melaflix could help and won't hurt the others.  And please don't give up. Tetras are fun! and BEAutIFUL!!!
wub.png

So sorry about your sick Tetra.

I think the cyst looks too big to be ich.

NTD is a parasite that infects the fish by it eating something infected with it. The parasite eggs hatch in the fish's intestine and the embryo burrows into the flesh of the fish. Have you lost any fish in your tank and you could not find its body, where it is possible that your fish may have consumed the dead fish? You may then have other fish that have already been infected as well.

But I think the picture of your fish seems to show a parasite sitting on its skin, or in the scales maybe? Maybe it is some kind of worm?

NTD isn't a fast killer.  I've had several neons with it.  I'm not entirely sure this one has NTD, however... I too think it is possibly something else.  In my experience NTD has always had a very characteristic fading and white patch  (like this picture http://bettacare101.com/protozoandisease2/neontetradisease.jpg), your fish looks very different... though, I don't have the experience to know if this is a fungus, slime coat issue, velvet or something else.

I had this among a school of neons once. I didn't manage to cure it, and ended up having to euthanise the infected individuals to stop it spreading and end its suffering (they had been struggling to swim and eat for a week). Hope you don't have to do the same. Good luck.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back