Neon Tetra Disease?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jus

Reaction score
Had my tank for about 8 weeks. Water is fine...tested continually and taken to the shop for professional testing as well.

60x30x38..underground filter. 20% water change completed weekly.

3 Cory Julli
2 Rainbow guppies
2 dwarf gourami
6 Tetra (was 7)

Started by adding four tetra after 2 week cylce and feeding Tetra min flake food....after about a week two of the tetra had real buoyancy problems..after fighting to stay down they would rest upside down on the surface!...I (and my LFS) put it down to indegestion....fed them Daphnia instead and all went back to normal.

About three weeks ago noticed one of the tetra being quite shy and hiding in a corner away from the others. Also noticed a tetra with a faded red band.

Today found the shy fish dead on the bottom...almost all the colour drained out of it...and the guppies feeding on it!

So I now have 6 Tetra. They all look quite content...swimming around in a shoal. 5 have quite lumpy tummies. One doesn't have a lumpy tummy but has very badly faded red. I'm not a great photographer but the attached picture shows the faded fish at the bottom right and you can see the other two fish in the picture (especially the one at the top) with a lumpy tummy.

I don't have a hospital tank at the moment...saving up..but any help would be gratefully received :( Should I remove the faded fish?

Attachments

• DSCN2078b.JPG
    DSCN2078b.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 138
Oh yes, food..I have blood worm, daphnia, brine shrimp. I alternate feeding one of those mixing it with a little Tetra min flake and a little sinking disc for the Cory. They eat all the food within a few minutes.

Unrelated...although hopefully shows the tank is healthy..Fathers day (funny enough) one of the guppies gave birth...only for the dwarf gourami and tetra to swoop in and eat them all :angry:

Sounds like ntd to me as well.
Can see some black linning around the red as that a sign of ntd as well.
Also a brownish golden colour on the red or blue area, and also can be a creamy white colour.
Any lumps that go to a point on the belly.
This is going to sound awful I would destroy all the neon tetras.
I had this with my neons lost the whole tank, wished I destoyed them when I knew.
They will all die and show different symtoms.

Gulp!

The lumps in the belly do look like..a bag of spuds. It's not just one lump it looks like their stomach is full of them.

Is it worth trying to keep them in a bucket and doing a daily water change or would that be more painful for them?

Sounds like Neon Tetra Disease ... Look Here!

Are the lumps on the tummy sticking out? Like this??

No it doesn't look like Lymphocystis. It looks more like they've eaten loads of rocks.

Saying all that...they don't have any problem swimming...they are all casually swimming around the tank...stopping to watch tv etc.

Thanks Wilder...I don't think it's that now...it says theres nothing you can do as the fish are usually too weak by the time its diagnosed. My fish aren't they're quite happy swimming around the tank and battling for food etc.

Prehaps it's false ntd

Maybe I'll take one of them to my LFS....which may kill it anyway :eek:

I would issolate the fish and wait and see.
Try a bacterial med but not to hopeful.
Good luck.

Been talking with someone with alot of experience with meds and he came up with this med for ntd.
Meant to be effective, but I couldn't say as never used it.
Waterlife Algizin P at half dose

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back