Neighbours new tank.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cynic

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey folk, just a quicky really. I have a well established tank, 6-7 years old and a neighbour has finaly stopped wanting my tank and is getting one as a Christmas pressie.

I was wondering (his wife already has the tank) if I should get the filter and drop it in my tank till Christmas just running in the background and drop some of my media in when I clean the canister, due in a fortnight, normally do it once a month..

My idea was then to use my water change, normally 80 to 100litres or so, to best part fill his tank and he is pretty much ready for fish at Christmas.

Any screaming flaws in that plan?

That would work what I would do though is just let it run with your other filter and it will get seeded in time and if its not then throw in some media of yours.

The filter aspect is OK, but there is no value at all in using the water. The nitrifying bacteria live on surfaces such as the filter media, not in the water. And old water from any fish tank is lacking in everything beneficial while being loaded with detrimental stuff.

Personally I would never use or recommend another person's filter/filter media as this will transfer any pathogens to the other person's tank. Bacterial supplements are certainly safer and just as effective.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back