Needing Some Stocking Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jwalser18

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Okay, So here's my delemma.

I had rushed into this hobby about 5 months ago, and didn't know what the hell I was doing. This is probably going to be horrifically long, so i apologize now.

My stocking was:
-10g with 6 tiger barbs
-20g with 1 convict (f) adult 1(f) 8"red devil 2 juvenile firemouths
-55g with 7 black skirt tetras, 6 corys, 2 angelfish, 1 3 spot goriami.

NOW,
Here's How I re-stocked with almost no problems so far.

-I put the barbs in the 20g
-donated the devil to LFS
-added the cichlids to the community

I'm missing 1 blackskirt (was a runt) ;) but no signs of other problems the past 5 days.

THERE ARE PLENTY OF HIDING SPOTS.

Once I am able to determine sex of firemouths, I will be willing to get rid of male(s) as I know they're more overaggressive.

But, Could this work in the long-run?

-20g with 1 convict (f) adult 1(f) 8"red devil 2 juvenile firemouths
-55g with 7 black skirt tetras, 6 corys, 2 angelfish, 1 3 spot goriami.

So you now have

6x Tiger Barbs in the 20g tank

and in the 55 is

2 x Firemouths
1 x Convict
2 x Angels
1 x 3 Spot Gourami
6 x Black Skirt Tetras
6 Corys

Personally I dont think it will work I would look at doing

2 x Firemouths
2 x Angels
6 x Black Skirt Tetras
6 x Corys

But then up your Tetras and Corys to say 10 of each? What kind of Corydora is it? Hopefully one of the larger species to live with Firemouths.

You have space to add other species as well but I wouldnt get any other territorial types of fish as it could end badly.

Wills

I wouldn't mind bumping up the cory's and tetra's. and it's a bronze cory. Is that okay? 

Oh, lose the convict? I had 7 skirted tetras and am down 1.. tore apart all the hiding spots, she's gone. Another variable is the end of my filter has* no slotted piece.. it's an open hole, possibly the filter ate it? But, I looked though all the filter media, no fish chunks
wink.png

Edit: was fixing a typo :D

Yeah there is a slim chance it might work but cons have quite strong jaws and the angels wont stand a chance if things turn their mouths wont compete and their fins will really suffer - equally Firemouths are actually quite scavenger fish and their jaws are quite weak and more usually than not are used for sifting through detritus so again if a fight broke out they could be in trouble...

Bronzes will do great in this tank :) If one tetra has died odds are it was probably eaten either before or after death - or small fish do decompose at quite a fast rate.

Wills

Should I be worried about an ammonia spike? And I'll look into re homing the convict if any more fish go missing. What else would you recommend putting in once i bump corys and tetras to 10? :D

TallTree01 said:
You should be worried about an ammonia spike.
I'm talking in regards to the loss of a fish and I can't find it.

They have probably been eaten by now, I'd just monitor the parameters for a week or two.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back