Need Some Plant Suggestions For My New Betta Tank!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BComplex

Reaction score
Hello I just picked up a 5 gallon tank for my little Betta, Sinatra. I need some help with plants!

Some pictures of Sinatra and his soon to be new home.
http://imgur.com/a/6gjjv#0

welcome, is that anubias in there already, is it planted in the gravel? it needs to be tied to a rock or piece of wood ot it will die, the broad leaves will give him somewhere to rest, can i ask if the new tank is cycled?

welcome, is that anubias in there already, is it planted in the gravel? it needs to be tied to a rock or piece of wood ot it will die, the broad leaves will give him somewhere to rest, can i ask if the new tank is cycled?

I just picked it up today, and started the cycle. I'll pick up a piece of driftwood for the plant, right now i have it tided down to a rock. I also need to return the heater and pick up a different one because it isn't do the job. I won't put Sinatra in the tank until it's ready.

well done for cycling it properly, it takes weeks for a tank to cycle,

why is that? I have some which is planted and it seems to be doing ok. Java ferns are good they are pretty indestructable, also something that goes from the bottom of the tank to the surface it gives them something to anchor their nests to.

I'm lucky to work at a pet store. not saying which. I still love to hear other people's opinions. When it's slow we all read fish magazines and there are so many different ways to do things.

I can't just rely on my knowledge of set ups when there is so much more out there.

My plan.

Cycle for a week.. take water to work for test.
Pick up more plant food
Pick up stronger heater.
Watch Sinatra dance trying to get to his new home D: poor little guy.

My plan.

Pick up more plant food
Pick up stronger heater.

a tank will not cycle in a week, you need the filter to grow enough bacteria to cope with the ammonia your tank, your fish might do well for a week then you will be left wondering why hes dying, please read the link in my signature it explains fishless cycling (reccomended) and fish in cycling
as for the heater, as long as the tank is around the 26-28 0c mark its fine

My plan.

Pick up more plant food
Pick up stronger heater.

a tank will not cycle in a week, you need the filter to grow enough bacteria to cope with the ammonia your tank, your fish might do well for a week then you will be left wondering why hes dying, please read the link in my signature it explains fishless cycling (reccomended) and fish in cycling
as for the heater, as long as the tank is around the 26-28 0c mark its fine

The tank is only at 20C after 7 hours of running.
I was going to test the water after a week, not add my fish, I should have clarified.
cry1.gif

Edit: It did come with a small bottle of Nutrafin Cycle, I did add that in, but I don't trust it.

most new tanks come with some sort of miracle start, they dont work by the way, in short, you need to add ammonia to your tank to artificially stimulate fish poo and excess food to grow the bacteria needed in your filter that keeps your fish alive OR get some mature media from a establish tank to put in your filter, this will give you a good head start, OR a fish in cycle which isnt reccomended as it involves alot of blood sweat and tears, i know ive done it,
rolleyes.gif

most new tanks come with some sort of miracle start, they dont work by the way, in short, you need to add ammonia to your tank to artificially stimulate fish poo and excess food to grow the bacteria needed in your filter that keeps your fish alive OR get some mature media from a establish tank to put in your filter, this will give you a good head start, OR a fish in cycle which isnt reccomended as it involves alot of blood sweat and tears, i know ive done it,
rolleyes.gif

I'll try to find some pure ammonia in the states. I haven't seen any. And I can bring my water to work each day for test. It has some perks. Will start testing tomorrow when I go back to work.

we have alot of stateside members who can tell you where to get some ammonia

Definitely anubias. All my tanks have at least one piece planted on some driftwood. In my experience ambient light is not enough to sustain anubias and you well need a dedicated light for the tank in order to keep it alive. I also recommend adding something like seachem flourish, since one betta is not really enough to sufficiently feed the plants. Plants I have in with my bettas: duckweed, pennywort, foxtail, java moss, anubias, dwarf hairgrass. I have some of the java moss attached to driftwood or ornaments, but I also have it floating loose in the tank and my bettas love to sleep in it.

You can sustain anubias in a pot or in larger gravel, but it seems to grow best (for me anyway) attached to driftwood.

I found pure ammonia at my local True Value hardware store after a long search for some.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back