Need some advice urgently!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rr13

Reaction score
So, I set up a 20 litre aquarium about a month ago. I have already have a filter and a heater. After cycling the tank for about a week, I bought a female platy and added to my tank. At the same time, I was given a four month old male platy from my neighbour, and added that to the tank as well. They both seem to be doing fine. It's been a month now, and I today, I went and bought two guppies (one male one female) and two neon tetras. I floated them for 15 minutes and added them to my tank. I know that i should have a couple of females for each male guppy, but I did not want to overcrowd the tank. They all the seem to be doing great, however, every time I walk past the tank, I see the female guppy constantly chasing away and nipping at the male guppy. I don't know what to do, if I buy one more female guppy, i may overstock the tank.

Hi there, welcome to the forum :)

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but you have multiple, potentially very serious, issues with your little tank :/

First of all, just running a tank for a week will not cycle it, so it's likely you have raised levels of ammonia and nitrite. You really need some test kits so you can monitor the situation; in the meantime do a 50% water change every day, making sure the new water is warmed and dechlorinated.

Secondly, I'm afraid your tank is already overstocked. A 20l tank is only big enough to house a single male betta, or two or three small fish, like male guppies or Endlers. You don't have enough room for fry to grow properly, so you shouldn't be having any female livebearers in it. Platies can get quite large and shouldn't be in a tank of less than 50l or so. Neons need to be in a group of at least six, but a 20l isn't big enough for that, even without the other fish. Neons can be very nippy, if not in a large enough group.

You also have a mixture of fish that need differing water conditions. The guppies and platies need hard water, but the neons need soft, so one or the other isn't going to do well :/

My best advice to you would be; get test kits for ammonia and nitrite and keep up the water changes. Try and rehome or return the fish that don't suit your water, and get a larger tank for the ones you're going to keep.

Sorry I can't be more positive...

Hi,
Thanks for your advice! I have visited my local pet shop and had my tank water tested, apparently the water conditions were pretty good. My ammonia and nitrate levels were slightly high, but the man said that I could lower it by just doing my weekly water change. I don't think my the store accepts fish returns; they only give refunds if the fish die in a certain amount of time after they have been bought. And I really don't want to send any of them away either. I can buy a bigger tank but only after a month or so. Any suggestions on how to prevent nipping?

Okay. First thing. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE LFS PEOPLE. More likely than not, they will play you for an extra dollar. Your water parameters won't be extreme for now, but just wait. Your tank is still cycling for the first time (explained by fluttermoth), so do the suggested 50% daily. It's your best option. With a "month or so" before a new tank, things may get a bit problematic. Your best option is to make sure there are plants and hiding spots for cover. To answer your question, there are few ways to prevent fin nipping. Mainly keeping compatible fish prevents this issue. My advice: do 50% water changes daily, provide hiding areas, get a new tank as soon as possible and, I'm not sure you're going to like this, but you will probably have to send at least some away (my first thought goes to the neons). How big will this new tank be? Please send a photo of the current tank. Also, what are the exact water parameters?

Alright, thanks. I'm not sure about all of the water parameters as I don't have all the test kits yet. But my ph level is 7.8 and Nitrate between 0ppm and 5.0.

And here's the photo of my tank...

Attachments

• IMG_5994.JPG
    IMG_5994.JPG
    897.5 KB · Views: 226
. don't have all the test kits yet. But my ph level is 7.8 and Nitrate between 0ppm and 5.0

nitrate should be kept below 20ppm. However you don't want it to go to zero because plants need it to grow. 5ppm is ideal.

The main things to watch for are ammonia and nitrite. both are toxic to fish. Plants will use them but at high levels they will also suffer. If you see either do a water change. Eventually bacteria will grow and they will control ammonia and nitrite better than water changes. Ideally nitrite and ammonia should be kept at zero.

Live bearers are big nippers in general. To relive this problem you either need lots of hiding spaces or a large school. Even in my 10 gallon my two mosquito fish occasionally nip my betta.

I have a few hiding places for them already, but I'll go by some plants or something

I'm starting to panic now, this morning I checked the tank and I saw about 5 tiny fry swimming behind the filter. I have a feeling they came from my female platy...
what do I do?

Hate to be the bearer of bad Your tank seems insufficient to hold anymore fish. The bio load will be too much for your filter. Either cull the fry or get rid of the tank inhabitants. They will be prayed upon. And I don't think you can fit a breeder box in that tank .. sorry to say but the only thing id reccomend for that tank is a betta and a few ghost shrimp

I know.... But I really don't want to kill them. Do you think I can just wait for them to grow a bit bigger and then I can give them to my LFS??

Here is a picture of two of the fry.

Attachments

• IMG_6001.JPG
    IMG_6001.JPG
    396.5 KB · Views: 194
They won't last that long. The fry will be eaten by other inhabitants. Sorry.
As long as I don't have to be the one to kill them... Also, 5 of the fry are hiding behind my filter, which I doubt the other inhabitants can get to. But to be honest, I'm just going to let nature take its course.

Attachments

• IMG_6005.JPG
    IMG_6005.JPG
    777.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_6006.PNG
    IMG_6006.PNG
    345.4 KB · Views: 198
Hey congratulations on the fry! If i were you i would see if i could squeeze a hatchery/breeder box in there for the fry to go in. They might grow up and, like you said, might be able to give them to LFS if you can't home them.

The advice given above is solid, however, you can often achieve higher stocking levels than what's written in the rule books. Best advice I can give you is for you to have your own test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. If you can comfortably manage those levels then it really doesn't matter what forum advice dictates.

Fin nipping will be helped by adding more cover, some tall plants or such at the back might work well. Larger shoals would be good but not really an option given current tank size. If the inhabitants can get through the first few weeks of living together then they might become more accustomed to each others company and this might result in reduced nipping.

I say keep your fish, have a crack at raising those fry, monitor your water parameters and have fun!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back