Need help with tank and filter for guppy fry.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

capromeryx

Reaction score
I just got some Moscow Blue guppy pairs. I anticipate having fry, but I am not set up yet to take care of them. Suggestions for a tank, substrate, and a filter that won't suck them up as detritius? Thanks! New to the hobby.

Hi capromeryx:

For a fry-only tank, a 10 or 20g with an air-powered corner/box filter, or two sponge filters, should probably be fine. Air-powered filters are gentle enough that you don't have to worry about fry being hurt by them. The advantage of the corner/box filter is that you can clean out the mechanical filter media while leaving the biomedia undisturbed (so that you don't disrupt the nitrogen cycle).

Some people recommend bare bottom in a fry tank, but you can also put a thin layer of regular gravel substrate down.

It's worth investing in a good quality heater for a fry tank.

A 20gal is a good size for growing out guppy fry.You will need a sponge filter along with a heater and fry food. I always say it's a good idea to invent in micro worms. A cheap 5$ starter culture will last you forever if cared for properly. Micro worms are the perfect size for young fry but usually fry will outgrow them in a couple weeks, in which case moving them to crushed flake food and/or baby brine shrimp is a good idea.

I have mine in with the adults, invest in some easy to look after plants and the fry will hide away from the adults.
After a couple of days the adults stop chasing them.
I tried all sorts of different ways and I have found that plants and bog wood have worked amazing for me.
Good luck with your babies!

agreed on the sponge filter.....

i use these in my breeding / grow out tanks.....

https://www.bigalspets.com/seapora-breeder-sponge-filters.html?sku=4461

they come in different sizes depending on your tank size....they are very effective, cheap, and they literally last forever....i have some that are over 10 years old!!....the bottom of the filter is weighted so it stays down on the bottom and will never float up

i keep my breeding and fry tanks "bare bottom" it makes it much easier to suck up all the crap on the bottom and keep the tank healthy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back