Need Help Slowing My Filter Current

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

digitalemotion

Reaction score
i have tried the coke bottle thingy wotsit but it wont stay in place no matter what i do so i dont know what to do next... i dont know what make my filter is so i will try my best to describe it -

the filter itself sits in the hood of the tank and the intake pipe is the one with the vertical slits and the outlet can either free fall into the tank or i can attach a pipe.. if i attach the pipe it creates a huge dip in the sand and a strong under current and if ileave the pipe off it disturbs the surface water too much, i have lots of silk plants around the outlet to try and disrupt the flow but its not enough..

i havnt got my betta yet as ive been cycling the tank ready for getting one this weekend, well i would have been getting one this weekend but i had to rescue my poor harrased goldfish (ralph) from my community tank cos he has had his fins shredded from my violent male platy, im getting ralph a new tank and a non violent tank mate but at least i know that the tank isa good one as he is as happy as a fish in water!

edited to say that ive searched the forum for ideas already :)

I have a couple of these too. This is what I do, you may adapt or find it works for you or gives you some ideas...I only use it for males who can't handle current tho.

First, keep the water level high enough so the water does not 'fall' back in from the outflow. It makes way less disturbance.

Second, go to the fish store and buy a chunk of filter foam. The regular white type, its a few dollars for a block.

Now, take a drinking straw ( I am assuming yours has a oulet 'hole' or two), and cut it just long enough to fit into the filter outlet hole so that it butts up against the side of the tank, and is wedged there. You can use two straws if you need to, one in each side or against he edges.

Finally I cut the filter to the right side to fit between the outlet and the tank edge, so its stuck in there, and tunnel a hole through it to fit the straw through its middle, that way it cannot break loose. I use a pair of scissors and just jab the one end through and twise to make the hole. Straw into sponge, then into filter, sugly against tank side.

I hope that makes sense,
I may be able to take a pic of mine for you, if your set up is similar.
(you can also shove sponge over the intake if you have a male who likes to get stuck)
I swap my males around alot, so right now mine is not installed as the males in right now like the current.

Thanx for your method i will def try it.... ive managed to get the bottle thing to stay in place now but its creating quite abit of water movement on the surface so i will get what i need to do the sponge straw method and when i finaly get my brand new fishy i will see how he fares with what ive done then change it if i need too... my goldfish is very happy with the bottle method and is now settled happily in the dip the filter left :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back