The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

monahan95

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi i'm Mark and i'm new to the forum
smile.png

I was wondering if anyone here could help me. I recently purchased 4 juvenile Congo tetra's from my local fish store, I was told they were male but i'm not 100% sure. They are not currently showing any signs of coloration or fins developing, Hopefully somebody here can help me with my problem
smile.png
Thanks in advance!

welcomeani.gif
to TFF! Hope you enjoy it here.

I believe the males are more colorful and have longer dorsal fins but not 100% sure. If you can post some pictures that would probably help.
You can upload pics by going to 'More Reply Options' and attaching file at the bottom, or upload to a photo sharing website such as photo bucket and then link here.

Is that your leopard ctenopoma in your profile pic?

I think he has two, it says this on his profile "Fluval 125l - 2 Leopard bush fish, 4 congo tetra's, 1 celebes halfbeak, 3 rams, 1 Gibbicep plec, 1 peppered cory, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 zebra snail, 1 red spotted snail, 1 wood shrimp" I know this is off topic but I think I just have to say Congo tetras need at least a 55 gallon tank, and Cory's should have a school of at least 5 and the bush fish will most likely get bigger and eat your shrimp. And your gibbicep will also be to big for your tank.

sawickib said:
I think he has two, it says this on his profile "Fluval 125l - 2 Leopard bush fish, 4 congo tetra's, 1 celebes halfbeak, 3 rams, 1 Gibbicep plec, 1 peppered cory, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 zebra snail, 1 red spotted snail, 1 wood shrimp" I know this is off topic but I think I just have to say Congo tetras need at least a 55 gallon tank, and Cory's should have a school of at least 5 and the bush fish will most likely get bigger and eat your shrimp. And your gibbicep will also be to big for your tank.
I know all this :) I'm relatively new to the fish keeping hobby, however I have been learning fast. I been working for a major Pet store (Pets at home) in the UK & Ireland for the past 4 months and got my 125 cheap when I started, I intend to buy a 60 gallon tank that is for sale in my work as soon as I get enough money saved up to buy it (Which make take a while) 
unsure.png
 So I'll make do with what I have until then. My intention is to move my Leopard bush fish (or Leopard ctenopama if you prefer) and the Congo's to the 60 gallon once I get it and base the whole tank around fish that originate from the congo river. as for the cory, I got him for free as he came into work in a fish delivery and sadly had fin rot so couldn't be placed for sale, thankfully I put him in a quarantine tank and nursed him back to full health :) I will be purchasing more friends for him in time but he seems happy enough right now :)

Hope this relieves any worries you might have, but thanks for the advice :D
Ninjouzata said:
welcomeani.gif
to TFF! Hope you enjoy it here.

I believe the males are more colorful and have longer dorsal fins but not 100% sure. If you can post some pictures that would probably help.
You can upload pics by going to 'More Reply Options' and attaching file at the bottom, or upload to a photo sharing website such as photo bucket and then link here.

Is that your leopard ctenopoma in your profile pic?
Thanks, I'll try and get some pics up ASAP :D

and yes he's mine :)

Ooh please do share some pics when you start setting up that 60g! I'd also love to see some more pics of the ctenopoma :wub:

Ninjouzata said:
Ooh please do share some pics when you start setting up that 60g! I'd also love to see some more pics of the ctenopoma
wub.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4HdI7l4XZY

Here's a short video of my tank, Check it out :) 

Sorry you can only see one of my ctenopoma's 
sad.png
they normally swim as a pair but for whatever reason decided to split up for the video 
Dunno.gif

Oh and excuse the dirt of the gravel, I have to fish all the debris out when I get a chance.

Oh yay! Vid is even better than pics ^^

Welp, so much for rams being bottom dwellers :p They're quite pretty.

OH MY GOSH THE CTENOPOMA ARE SO CUTE -EXPLODES- Sorry C: I am so very excited to get mine.
Really enjoy getting to see them in other people's tanks for the time being!

Yea they're awesome! without a doubt my favourite fish :) I see on your profile that you have a crowntail, what colour is he? I see a lot of sweet looking crowntail fighters come into work all the time :)

monahan95 said:
Yea they're awesome! without a doubt my favourite fish
smile.png
I see on your profile that you have a crowntail, what colour is he? I see a lot of sweet looking crowntail fighters come into work all the time
smile.png
Oh forgot to mention your congo tetras are lovely! Unfortunately have no idea what gender they might be :lol:

Well am not sure anymore about my CT. I thought he was copper but turns out he may just be metallic. Beautiful to me either way though!

At that size, those are all female congos.

hi and welcome :) your tank looks great and you have some nice fish :)

with the congos i think the best way of telling is the males dorsal fin is a lot longer but im not sure how long it is before you can tell :)

looking-glass said:
hi and welcome
smile.png
your tank looks great and you have some nice fish
smile.png

with the congos i think the best way of telling is the males dorsal fin is a lot longer but im not sure how long it is before you can tell
smile.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back