Need Help Identyfying An Unknown Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bigred_wee-blue

Reaction score
I purchased a long eel like fish from a supply shop today and the owners of the place didnt know what it was - i was able to identyfy all the other fish in the tank (gupys platies ect)
The one i got reminds me of an oarfish with catfish whiskers around it mount , the body is clear and a ghostly white colour. Anyone know what this guy is?
Ive also got 5 neon tetras 4 bettas 2 male and female, 2 tux platys a lightning yellow cicillid a otto a small snail and clown loach in my 70 ltre tank and 3 of the bettas in the 10 ltre tank
The 70ltre tank has a large bunch of plants in a corner that most of the fish sleep in during the night,

It might be a ghost catfish, but a pic would help.
smile.png

10 liters is 2.64... gallons, according to my conversion. That is just big enough for one betta, and bettas of mixed sexes should generally not be mixed.

10 liters is 18.49... gallons, again by my conversion. I won't go into the problems with the water parameters and temp differences, but a African cichlid should not be placed with a betta, an otto, platies, or a clown loach.
The clown loach will get up to 40 cm in good care and need to be in a shoal, the ottos need a shoal, the glass catfish are low light fish and need a shoal (if it is one)....the tank is overstocked.

It recommend reading up about your fish before buying them.

This is a ghost catfish:

ghost-catfish.jpg

Its what we all do when we start Big Red, buy fish that look good, but as Lyraguppi says its better to read up on them first so you know if a fish is compatible with its environment and tankmates.

Agreed sounds like a Ghost or Glass Catfish.
The most commonly sold species reaches about 6-8 inches long so be prepared.

Also, you say you have two male and two female betta's..... I hope I read that wrong and they aren't all in one tank...

Both your tanks are overstocked and badly stocked at that. Male and female betta's should not be mixed, male and male betta's should not be mixed, females are fine in groups of 5+ to spread the aggression. Your 70 litre tank would be perfect for a group of females if planted out nicely and all other fish were moved out.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back