Need Help Identifying My "pest" Snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

trojannemo

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hey guys. so I have these snails that I'm trying to ID.

first is what i believe to be a "Pond Snail," Lymnaea sp. Trying to figure out which species but no luck so far.
This came as one single snail, which survived a week-long QuickCure attack, and after that it laid eggs and now I have
quite a good amount of them. not bothered by their presence, just want to get a positive ID.
snail.jpg

snail2.jpg

snail3.jpg

second is a lonely snail I believe is a "Ramshorn Snail", Gyraulus sp. Also unable to pinpoint which species.
This came with a plant as a tiny thing. I decided to throw it in my betta tank and see how it would do, it grew
quite a bit and now it's in my rainbow tank with the above snails. It must be about 1/4" big at the most.
ramshorn.jpg

ramshorn2.jpg

any information (common name, scientific name, optimal water conditions, etc) is highly appreciated!

thanks! :good:

I think your right with Lymnaea sp., I have one that looks the same - are it's antenae like this? http://www.flickr.com/photos/threefingers/3435071053/

Second one is Planorbarius corneus I'd say, the common aquarium one that comes in read, blue, brown and leopard varieties :).

Both species don't deal well with acidic water, so keep that pH above 7, and both prefer it slightly cooler IME, say 22*C-24*C.

well my concern is to identify which Lymnaea they are. they dont look like yours at all though, as you only see the shell moving around, not with a "face" outside of the shell like in your picture.

the ramshorn I didnt know if it was planorbarious corneous because the info i read on that made it sound much bigger than the one i have...how do you tell the difference from the smaller ramshorn to the bigger ramshorn variety?

IDing the Lymnaea sp. is going to very, very hard unless you know where it originally came from and check the local wildlife literature. The only decent on-line sources I've found focus on shells, which tend to vary a lot even within species. Are you worried about it being a species with poisonous mucus, I personally wouldn't worry about that. I've heard it a few times, but all from pretty unreliable sources on the internet, and the species they mention always seems to be impossible to pin down.

How big the "Great Ramshorn" snails grow varies a lot. I've found shells in my tank of snails that are over an inch, but most of my snails are just over half that size.

I've found some really big ones in ponds (you can buy them at garden centres), but when I keep them indoors they die quite soon and the eggs hatch out into snails that stay smaller.

So I think that either they don't grow as large at the higher indoor temperatures, or just don't live as long so don't have as long to get to a large size.

I also remember reading once that there is a subspecies that gets larger, but can't remember where I read that tbh.

I wouldn't take the fact that you cant see the snails "face" as a characteristic. They tend to move around like that in tanks that have fish (that have harassed them) or if they are unhealthy.

The snails in my shrimp tanks move around normally, but the ones in my fish tank move around with no body part visible underneath their shells.

I noticed the snails doing this in my shrimp tank a while ago when I added some plants (and I did rinse and soak them before!) that had copper on them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back