Need Help.. Asap

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

revolt

Reaction score
hello all.. i installed a new tank with sump yesterday. today afternoon when i was looking at the sump i saw a crack in it. so i called the guy who did the job and he told me not to worry about it and he will fix it on sunday. went out and came back home at mid night and found water all over the place. the crack seems to be leaking now. i called him again at mid night and he said he will pass by in the morning to fix it. now what i want to ask can i shut the filtration off? will the fish and corals be ok for like 14 or 15 hours? i am worried about the electricity the cables are near and incorrectly positioned. please help me.

it should be fine as long as there is flow in the main tank as well as live rock in the main tank.

Dude get all your equpiment plumbed to the main tank asap

and get cables off the ground and away from the water if it bursts,

Get some flow in tank and shut it down,

EMPTY IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE COMPLETELY

water spreads out really far so it needs to be empty!

and give guy who built it some stick too!!

did he leak test it??

Hi,

It depends where the crack in the sump is. If its fairly high up then simply remove water from the sump until its below the level of the leak. This means you shouldn't need to turn off the return pump in the sump.

Alternatively, turn off the return pump in the sump, and just leave powerheads running in the main tank. Drain the sump down to below the crack if possible or totally empty it. If you cant get a container of a jug in the sump to ladle the water out, try putting a small pump in the sump and connect some hose to it and try to pump the water out into a bucket or something.

So long as there is still good water flow in the tank, there shouldn't be too much to worry about for 15 hours.

On a side note, if there is any damage to your floor then I'd look at asking for compensation. The guy should have public liability insurance, if not... then he's gonna be sorely out of pocket if there is any damage done to your flooring etc.

hello.. thank you for your replies. its fixed now there is a stil a minor leaking but its holding up better till i get a new sump. didnt lose a fish or coral.

nop.. i dont think i will be able to do that here.. :)

If it was mildly inconvenient and didn't cause a major change in our lives other that a microscopic imaginary wound, yes, we sue.

If it was mildly inconvenient and didn't cause a major change in our lives other that a microscopic imaginary wound, yes, we sue.

And people wonder why insurance costs so much and why it takes forever to process court cases -_-

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back