Need Help Aquascaping Low-Tech 29G Tank

zjh828266

Reaction score
So I have a low-light, no fertilizer, and no CO2 tank. This is how it looks right now: 
RGVpKT5.jpg
 What can i do to make it better? I feel like its very short even though I have a tall tank. There is also something lacking in the middle next to Anubias. What should I do? Thanks

You need to have some sort of idea of the habitat you want to create; it might be a fast flowing stream bank, or a slower bend in a river, or an 'island' of higher ground in a lake.

Then work out where, in nature, the water would be flowing in and out; put your largest leafed and tallest plants where the water would be coming in, and your smaller and thinner leaved pants nearer the 'out' bit, as smaller, finer leaved plants would be swept further along before taking root than the 'heavier' plants. You don't have to match that with the actual flow from your filter, but it might help if you do :) .

Think of arranging things in curving triangles, as that helps give interest and looks more natural; at the moment your decor is in bit too much of a straight line, like a flowerbed. Keep plants of the same species clumped together, as that's how they'd grow naturally.

You could probably do with more plants to help you get a good effect. Vallis or stem plants would help you get some height in. A backing might help you achieve a more natural looking 'scape as well :)

Hope that helps; getting a good aquascape can take a lot of changing around before you're happy!

I would also recommend a background, even just a simple black will make everything pop! I googled a lot of tanks before I set mine up for inspiration, and then I just decided to go with a crazy, thick jungle look anyway!! Whatever you decide, it will look great...and don't be afraid to change it, I rescaped mine at least three times!

I second the black background.  On my smaller tanks (up to 30 gallons) I use plain black construction paper.  It is very inexpensive, and the back disappears adding depth, and the more plants and fish, the deeper the tank seems.

You could add another chunk or two of dark wood like the one you have.  Vertical pieces replicating a tree trunk (doesn't need to reach the surface) can do wonders.  The Malaysian Driftwood available in the US (in some stores or online) is ideal for this.

Aside from the above, I've been waiting for you to answer Fluttermoth's suggestions on what style you're after.  But I would say that with more and different plants, you may find the need for a basic comprehensive fertilizer.  Java Fern and Anubias are slow-growing plants so they need less nutrients and light, but if you expand to faster-growing plants (like the Vallisneria mentioned) you may need fertilizer.  We can discuss this more when you have an idea of possible plants; there are a couple of good products available.  Knowing the GH of your water will also help, as this is the prime source of the "hard" minerals which some plants need more than others.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back