Need an electric pump to empty/fill tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

friendsnotfood

Reaction score
Hi

Until now I have done water changes using a manual gravel vacuum pump into numerous buckets and then walk to empty in bath or outside. Same to fill (bucket at a time).
I have to stand on a chair to reach tank. It's all very cumbersome and hurts my back a lot!
I'm now in later stages of pregnancy and lifting multiple buckets of water is no longer an option.
Can anyone recommend a cheap electric pump I can use to just to pump it straight outside/into bath and preferably fresh water back into tank also (although this less of an issue).
Thanks

Taking the filling of the tank with fresh water first, the easiest way to do this is with a "Python" apparatus. There is the original Python (under that name), and Aqueon also makes the same apparatus. Here's a link to the Aqueon that has a couple video demos too.
https://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/specialty-equipment/water-changers

This apparatus screws onto the faucet, much like a garden hose, so you need a faucet that has this capability. I use my laundry room sink that has a set of taps with threads so a hose can be attached.

As for draining the tank, this apparatus does that, but into the sink obviously. The flow of water at the faucet creates the suction that drains the water from the tank.

I have thought about a pump to drain, as in the summer I am using buckets to drain my tanks so I can use the water in the garden, rather than it going down the drain. You will need a pump that will connect to a Python hose. I haven't yet done this, so I can't suggest which, but I believe there are several pumps that will do this; I saw a few at my local aquarium supply store.

Byron.

Taking the filling of the tank with fresh water first, the easiest way to do this is with a "Python" apparatus. There is the original Python (under that name), and Aqueon also makes the same apparatus. Here's a link to the Aqueon that has a couple video demos too.
https://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/specialty-equipment/water-changers

This apparatus screws onto the faucet, much like a garden hose, so you need a faucet that has this capability. I use my laundry room sink that has a set of taps with threads so a hose can be attached.

As for draining the tank, this apparatus does that, but into the sink obviously. The flow of water at the faucet creates the suction that drains the water from the tank.

I have thought about a pump to drain, as in the summer I am using buckets to drain my tanks so I can use the water in the garden, rather than it going down the drain. You will need a pump that will connect to a Python hose. I haven't yet done this, so I can't suggest which, but I believe there are several pumps that will do this; I saw a few at my local aquarium supply store.

Byron.

Thanks, I'm in the UK, not sure if available but will take a look

I use this EcoPlus 396 and am very happy with it. I rigged a quick disconnect to a garden hose and pump out to the yard or into the kitchen sink:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018X2XT4/?tag=ff0d01-20
I have to pre-filter water so I pump back into the tank using the same pump from an 18g sterlite/rubbermade bin.....But otherwise I have a faucet adapter (to garden hose) that could be attached to the faucet.
(The python would also work for you although you could do just as well with an inexpensive waterbed drain/fill kit and a garden hose.)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back