Need advise on lighting rio 400

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kelvinrankin767

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently got a rio 400 and the t5 lighting was not supplied with it, so I am looking at options for a planted tank Led or a t5 unit is fine, i was looking at the iquatics 4 tube unit which is 216 watts, and i was looking at various 150cm led units on ebay but they only produce 60 watts some are less, would a 60 watt led be comparible with a t5 unit at 216 watts? I am only planning vaillis, amazon swords, dwarf sag, crypts and anabuis so all low ligh plants which i can easily grow just fine in my rio 125 heavily planted tank at only 1wpg.

Watts is not a very good indicator of intensity, unless you are comparing identical tubes/bulbs. Watts is merely the unit of measurement for the energy a tube/bulb takes to produce the light, but the light intensity can vary a lot, depending upon how the tube/bulb is made.

From the info I found on this Jewel Rio 400, it is the same dimensions as my former 5-foot 115g. I had two 48-inch T8 tubes over this tank and it was perfect for swords, crypts, Anubias. Vallisneria should do well too; I had this in my 4-foot 90g with the same lighting. T8 is not easy to come by these days, but if you are technical you can make your own with a 4-foot shop light taking two T8 tubes.

I tried two 48-inch T5 tubes over both these tanks, and the light was way too intense. After a week over the 115g I took the fixture back and made my own T8. Four tubes in T5 will be far worse. You will have algae problems, and blind fish.

LED I have no positive experience with. If you get a good unit, it will work very well. I'll leave that for those who have had success to recommend.

I'll just add a photo of my 5-foot with the two 48-inch T8 tubes to illustrate. Your 4-tube T5 would be roughly three times the intensity which would frankly be blinding.

Byron.

Attachments

• 115g Aug 22-14.JPG
    115g Aug 22-14.JPG
    603 KB · Views: 278
Thanks very much for the detailed response that has helped me out alot and saved me quite a bit of money in the process. If i was to get a unit with 2 t5 tubes like the standard lighting would that be ok? I dose carbon, all in one fertiliser, have a good substrate below my gravel and keep the lights on for 8 hours i only have 2 20w t8 tubes and its working out very well in my other tank should i aim for the same sort of thing for this new bigger tank? Your tank was very nice btw i would love to emelulate that.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back