Need Advice. Will This Tank Fit These Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

matthayden

Reaction score
Ive recently been gifted 3 Mollies and 2 Angelfish as a present, all of which are very young. I currently have them in a 20L tank as it was the only one I had, yet I know I need a bigger tank.
Im new to aquariums and am looking to buy an aquarium that comes with built in filter and heater etc. I preferably still want a small, cheap, low maintenance aquarium. Im currently looking at the AquaNano 40 as it is a nice size and comes with heater, filter, and light. It holds 55L, and I can find it for $170 AUD which is around the price im looking at.
Is this tank large enough, or what other possible cheap aquariums are there I should look into?
Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Angelfish need a tank that is at least 3 feet long, preferably longer.

Tanks with built in filters are not always that easy to maintain when compared to a normal aquarium and separate filter. They usually cost more than a basic tank and filter too.

Mollies require hard alkaline water, whereas angelfish like soft neutral to slightly acid water. These 2 types of fish are best kept in separate tanks due to their different water requirements.

I concur. Neither the mollies nor the angelfish will manage in a 55 liter (15 gallons). You need at least a 3-foot (90cm) tank for the mollies (they will or should attain 4, 5 and even 6 inches and aside from the area they need the water volume as being vegetarian they do impact the biology).

The two angelfish also present another problem...aggression. If they are both male, one will be dead before long in anything but a very large tank, and possibly even then. Normally a group of five or more is suggested to solve this issue as the fish establish an hierarchy and aggression is (or hopefully will be) spread out. If a male/female pair, if they have bonded, fine; if not, same thing might occur. If two females, maybe or maybe not, but the tank size is still much too small. Angelfish attain six inches body length with a vertical fin span of 8 inches.

Are there any suggestions for fish i should have in a 55L tank?

Are there any suggestions for fish i should have in a 55L tank?

We need to know the water parameters of your source water. Small-sized species will frequently be wild caught and being small and wild caught they will need more specific water. Soft water has many more options, but there are small harder water species too.

No need to buy a test kit, check your water authority's website for data. The GH (general or total hardness) is key, then the pH, and last knowing the KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) can be useful too.

Would anyone be able to suggest/quote me a 90cm tank and filter/heater then? I live in South Australia

Just get a glass 4ft rectangular tank with an Aquaclear 70 HOB (hang on back) style filter or a fluval external canister filter. Standard 3 foot and 4 foot aquariums are not much difference in price but the 4ft has more space for more fish :)

If you pop down to a pet shop and have a look at what they have, then post the info here, we can offer more advise for what is available to you. :)

I understand a bigger tank is better, but would an Aquaone 850 suffice? Its just shy of 3 ft in length.

no idea about aquaone tanks, I have never seen nor used them. I am old school and use to deal with plain old boring tanks and separate filters :)

The tank is 84cm Length x 58cm Width x 44cm Height, is that suitable?

Suitable for what? And we need to know your source water parameters.

Suitable for a pair of bonded Angels? I think so, Its 58 cm tall thats 22 inches, and 84 cm long thats 33 inches.

Would I keep Mollies and Angles in the same tank? No, Angels prefer softer water while Mollies like it so hard you could walk on it.

Angels are mostly sedate type of fish while mollies are very active, once the Angels start breeding they wont appreciate mollies zipping around trying to eat their eggs.

But hey thats just my opinion.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back