Need advice on tank lights

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Damiri

Reaction score
We have a 120 gal tank that is 6 feet long and 2 feet deep. The person that sold it to us had a 4ft led light strip with it but he did not have plants so for him it was adequate. Our tank is planted but the light is definitely not strong enough because the plants are barely surviving. I really dont know how to determine what light i need to get to supplement the existing fixture. I am hoping someone could advise me on this :)

My forays into LED for planted tanks have been disastrous, but there are some good LED lights out there. I know AbbeysDad (member) has success, so I will leave it for him to advise. You can PM him in case he doesn't spot this thread. Most LED is insufficient intensity, but also the wrong wavelength. LED tends to be very cool light, more blue than red, and the latter is essential to drive photosynthesis.

The other part of the equation is the plant species and number. Plants have differing requirements for light intensity, and lighting that will work over my low-tech method tanks will likely not be sufficient over a high-tech method using diffused CO2 and more nutrient dosing. My point here is that you can over-do the lighting, which is just as bad as not having enough light.

Byron.

*and dutchmuch has success* lol I use a fluval aquasky, they come in big sizes but not a good par on substrate for a 120
Abbeysdad though has a great journal on TPT, good guy to.

thanks! i had no idea about the led lights being the wrong wavelength. I like the led fixture because it was so compact and fit under the lid of the cabinet that houses the tank. I guess then finding the right light will be an even bigger project than i had expected. I will start by reading the link. Thanks again :)

As Byron mentioned, I have had very good results (see avatar) with my 48" Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 on my 60g tank. I was drawn to this light because of the 24/7 feature. It begins with a red/yellow sunrise and ramps up to midday bright light. then back down to sunset and moonlight. I felt/feel that fish need a period of total darkness, so I put it on a times, 6am - midnight. This works fine for a low tech planted tank. I have migrated to what I'd describe as medium tech with DIY bio-CO2 and switching the light from 24/7 to max from 10am - 3pm, then back into 24/7.
In any case, 24/7 simulates real world sunrise to sunset and adds a new level of surrealism to the tank/hobby.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back