Need Advice About Goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rpgmomma8404

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought a 29 gallon tank from someone last night. They had two goldfish in the tank but they completely drained the tank of water and took out their old media (threw it away probably). I've had these goldfish in a container in my kitchen since last night. I have a air pump with a bubble stone going for them. I did a water change this morning. Now I probably won't be able to get the 29 gallon set up until tomorrow and I don't think I can put them in right away when I get the tank set up.

I had to switch my ten gallon around because my two betta's have been stressing out and biting their tails. Now I have a gap in between them. 

Boyfriend suggested putting them in with the swordtails and platy temporarily. I know it can be done but it's not advise. I'm scared though that the bigger goldfish might hurt my other fish in the tank.

So, I'm wondering would it be safe to put them into that gap between the betta's for a night? I know it's not a smart idea but I'm not sure what else to do other then leaving them into the container. 

The only solution is to either keep them in the container for one more night with lots of fresh (dechlorinated) water... or put them into the 29 gallon tank.  Even though the 29 gallon is uncycled, its still better than the other options you mentioned. 

• The 10 gallon isn't a suitable solution, because that tank is cycled only for the two bettas - and the temps are WAY too high for goldies. 
  • The swords and platies isn't ideal, but if the tank is sufficiently large - 20+ gallons - it could work for a night, unless the goldies are too big and could eat the swords/platies.
  • The container, if sufficiently large would work, but I doubt its bigger than the 29 gallon tank.... s
So, go with the one with the larger volume.

eaglesaquarium said:
The only solution is to either keep them in the container for one more night with lots of fresh (dechlorinated) water... or put them into the 29 gallon tank.  Even though the 29 gallon is uncycled, its still better than the other options you mentioned. 

• The 10 gallon isn't a suitable solution, because that tank is cycled only for the two bettas - and the temps are WAY too high for goldies. 
  • The swords and platies isn't ideal, but if the tank is sufficiently large - 20+ gallons - it could work for a night, unless the goldies are too big and could eat the swords/platies.
  • The container, if sufficiently large would work, but I doubt its bigger than the 29 gallon tank.... s
So, go with the one with the larger volume.
Okay, thanks. I'll just keep them in the container. I did a water change this morning and I'll do another before I go to bed. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back