Need 20 gallon long tank stocking help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

tbetta

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if a 20 gallon long (still doing the fishless cycle, will add fish when it is done) with only neons and that 2" fish (at full length) with whiskers that likes to suck on the side of the tank, is ok? I can't remember the name, I think its a pleco. I'm also open to other ideas. There will be 6 neons since I will be transferring them from a 10 gallon which I mistakenly thought was the right size.

Last edited:
Increase the neons, to 8-12 in total. Or you could stay with 8-9 and have another species that is quiet and peaceful. And maybe some cories, in a group of 6-7 (depending upon species)?

You should identify the pleco, there are some that remain under 4 inches, but there are others that can get much larger, up to 18 inches.

Byron.

This is Paul, heā€™s my Bristlenose Pleco in residence and one of the smaller Plecos.
Definitely do your Pleco research and get a second opinion on the Pleco youā€™re going to buy if you can, Paul is actually Paul the second because I initially brought a common Pleco (grow very very big) as I wasnā€™t up to speed on the different plecos and had to rehome the bugger when he got to big and itā€™s not easy to rehome a common.

With your neons Iā€™d up their school if you can, Ive a school of 10 and thatā€™s the lowest Iā€™ve ever had but I wouldnā€™t go lower than 8 with neons.

9814C5E4-BAC9-4B5B-B2D2-823234E5C293.jpeg

This is Paul, heā€™s my Bristlenose Pleco in residence and one of the smaller Plecos.
Definitely do your Pleco research and get a second opinion on the Pleco youā€™re going to buy if you can, Paul is actually Paul the second because I initially brought a common Pleco (grow very very big) as I wasnā€™t up to speed on the different plecos and had to rehome the bugger when he got to big and itā€™s not easy to rehome a common.

With your neons Iā€™d up their school if you can, Ive a school of 10 and thatā€™s the lowest Iā€™ve ever had but I wouldnā€™t go lower than 8 with neons.

View attachment 85585
Thanks! I will go and do some more research.

Most reactions

Back