Naughty Koi

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, if you havent seen my post about the Shubunkin Koi and Comet goldies my husband and I got you can read that here: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/429373-comet-golds-shubunkin-koi/#entry3633658

Anyway, I believe I have gotten my Koi's into a bad habit of coming up to the surface and gulping air. :( I havent seen the goldies do it (yet) so im not so worried about them right now. I would sink flakes for them by releasing the flakes in the water rather than letting them float on top, they have been eating boiled egg white particles which sink anyway, and they have been eating floating pellets but usually wait until they sink and then pick at the pellet once it has done so. Their tank does have air circulating, so Im not really sure how this started.  

I suppose I am asking, how do I break these naughty koi's of their bad habit?? 

If there going up for air it's not a habit its a reaction to lack of oxygen or something else.

What is the water stats?

Gulping for air could be down to lack of oxygen in water, is there enough surface agitation?

Or could possibly be down to ammonia or nitrite?

As Techen already requested,
What is the tank water parameters? ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates 

Temp?

Not sure what the water stats are right now, plan on checking tonight and will post stats later :) However the temp is 70* F with no heater, there seems to be a good amount of oxygen in the tank, the filter is at a waterfall effect, plus an airstone strip in the tank. 

techen said:
If there going up for air it's not a habit its a reaction to lack of oxygen or something else.

What is the water stats?

Ch4rlie said:
Gulping for air could be down to lack of oxygen in water, is there enough surface agitation?

Or could possibly be down to ammonia or nitrite?

As Techen already requested,
What is the tank water parameters? ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates 

Temp?
So I made sure that there was enough oxygen in the tank, did all tests & the pH came out a tad high. I did some research and the  pH was the problem!! Lowered the pH for them and they have not been coming up to the surface for about an hour now! Thank you for pointing out this was not a habit forming, and thank you for the learning experience :) 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back