Natural fish that live with angelfish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sorry that I have not responded in a while, Byron. I finally realized that the water I have been using is not going through the softener^_^. I will start mixing it with RO water before I put it in the tank. I am still not sure about stocking it though. I really want to put I African butterfly fish in. I understand that this and the angles are from different parts of the world, but according to seriously fish the African butterfly fish and the angelfish have a pH of (6.0-7.4). My stocking ideas were 1 ABF, 5 petrophyllum scalare, whiptail catfish, 10 corys?

The African Butterfly Fish (Pantodon buchholzi) is not a community fish. I had a pair for several years in their own aquarium. They will snap at or attempt to eat any fish that approaches the surface. And their mouths when open are surprisingly huge. They are ambush predators, remaining almost completely motionless among floating plants until something at or near the surface moves and then they attack. Very interesting fish, but on their own. And a pair (or more) is fine when space (surface area) permits.

No problem with the whiptail catfish or cories in with angelfish.

I new I could not keep anything like neon tetras in there or any other small fish. I was not planning of putting other mid swimming fish besides the angel fish in. The fish that I named (whiptail catfish, cories, angels, and the ABF) were the only fish I was thinking of putting in there. Glad to know that they are all compatible.

I new I could not keep anything like neon tetras in there or any other small fish. I was not planning of putting other mid swimming fish besides the angel fish in. The fish that I named (whiptail catfish, cories, angels, and the ABF) were the only fish I was thinking of putting in there. Glad to know that they are all compatible.

I may have been misunderstood...the ABF is not compatible.

Any peaceful oddballs that I could put in with the whiptail catfish, cories, and angelfish?

It's a 75 gallon. I was thinking about those eels too! I prefer the fire eel but they can get quite big. The tank does have a lot of potential though.

I think Baccus ( Global Moderator ) keeps or has kept eels.

I know that they are not tremendously hard to keep and are pretty neat when used to their environment. I have researched about them before posting this. They are not different in terms of feeding than any other fish but I don't know all the details. I will probably post another thread tomorrow, this one is getting long.

I keep fire eels and Moray eels. What i can tell u is they can be picky at first but they love to eat Blooodworms they go crazy for it but they are also timid animals so i would put maybe or bottle or something to put the bloodworms in so that it could eat in peace other fish can scare them off quickly

If you look at the post above (#34), there really would not be much competition. The tank setup will mimic the environment of the amazon river (overhanging branches, roots, leaves, etc.). I have tons of manzanita wood that I use for my aquariums. I am planning on putting a knot of it to the left while the other half or 2/3 of the tank will have room for the angels to swim. The knot of manzanita will be where the eel mostly hangs out. His only competition might be the cories.

If you look at the post above (#34), there really would not be much competition. The tank setup will mimic the environment of the amazon river (overhanging branches, roots, leaves, etc.). I have tons of manzanita wood that I use for my aquariums. I am planning on putting a knot of it to the left while the other half or 2/3 of the tank will have room for the angels to swim. The knot of manzanita will be where the eel mostly hangs out. His only competition might be the cories.
Sounds good

Ok! So 5 angels, 10 cories, whiptail catfish, and a freshwater eel.
Sounds good to me but just to let u know there arent any true freshwater eels the fire eel is a fish that resembles a eel thou nevertheless its a very beautiful yet odd fish

I know. There is the brackish water moray eel though. I assumed the fire eel was not a true eel.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back