Nat's 125 Litre Juwel Rio Marine!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

natwood

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
A picture at last.. it's only an empty tank but at least I'm finally ready to start my journey this weekend! I'm getting my saltwater tomorrow, but I'm in the process of making sure everything is right.

102_6561.jpg

I've finally managed to get the filter box out after a lot of prising with a palette knife. Now how do I go about getting the rubbery pads off the tank? I can only use water inside the tank right so I can't use anything to get it off?

102_6562.jpg

Looks good!
To get the extra silicone off, use a stanely blade and Acetone (nail varnish remover) It works really well, i also done this to my Juwel Tanks! :)

Thanks! I'm just about managing it now with a chisel. Shouldn't take me too long.

Next I'm going to be painting the back of the tank black on the outside! Does anybody have any recommendations for what I can paint it with? I was thinking of using black acrylic. I read that somebody used black spray paint. What should be best?

Thanks! I'm just about managing it now with a chisel. Shouldn't take me too long.

Next I'm going to be painting the back of the tank black on the outside! Does anybody have any recommendations for what I can paint it with? I was thinking of using black acrylic. I read that somebody used black spray paint. What should be best?
Black matt spray paint is what ive used in the past, as long as you spray it carfully and dont get many drips it looks good, im not sure about the option of getting it off after though, i spose it will just flake away with the edge of a credit card or something.

I've spent the evening cleaning up my tank and can't wait to get my water tomorrow. Has anybody ever used the Juwel backgrounds? I quite like this one..
juwel%20black%20background.jpg

I keep changing my mind about what I want to use. Haha.
I'm just wondering if it's possible to put this stuff in my tank after I've got water in it, or if it needs to be done before?

I've changed my mind and am going back to the original plan, will be spraypainting the back of my tank black tomorrow. Also collecting my saltwater tomorrow. Tuesday is when I'm getting the live rock. Busy week ahead!

Hi Nat,

Nice little tank! Spraying it is a good idea. A dark colour is great as it adds depth when viewed from the front. I'd personally go for black like yourself, or a midnight blue, just to give it an ocean feel to it. Tape newspaper onto the sides and top to prevent any paint getting anywhere it shouldn't.

Probably the best way to do it would be to move the stand outside or into the garage with the door open and place the tank on it. That way you don't have to lay it on its front and run the risk of scratching it. Remember to do the spraying in a well ventillated area and you should really wear a 3M mask too.

The cold weather is also against you, due to the moisture in the air, so make sure to remove any condensation from the glass with a paper towel and ensure the glass is free from greasy fingerprints and dirt. Give the can a good shake for about 2 minutes before you start. Hold the can about 18" from the surface and move your arm in a slow sweeping motion, making it from left to right in about 3-4 seconds. Press the nozzle down with each pass and then release. Don't hold the spray in one location, just allow the paint to build up gradually and evenly. Keep a paper towel to hand too, as the nozzle can clog. Inspect it after about 4 passes and wipe any excess away. Doing it this way will help safeguard against the aerosol spitting and also against runs.

Once you've coated it, leave it for 30 minutes, then apply another coat, to make sure you haven't missed any tiny spots. If you can pick up a can of matt lacquer, even better, as you can protect the paint once its dry. Don't be tempted to move the tank until the lacquer has fully dried. Due to the snow and cold temperatures, the air is very damp and so drying times will be extended. If you take your time, the end result will be a perfectly painted background :good:

Thanks for that. Definitely going to do it in the garage!

I've just realised..now that I've removed my Juwel filter box, am I still able to use the pump that came with it, or do I need a new pump?

Thanks for that. Definitely going to do it in the garage!

I've just realised..now that I've removed my Juwel filter box, am I still able to use the pump that came with it, or do I need a new pump?

For what? You'll need powerheads to circulate the water around the rock, if that's what you mean?

All that I have is the Juwel pump that came with the tank. Is that ok to use without the filter-box to circulate the water? My LFS said I've got everything I need to set up my basic marine tank so I'm assuming that's fine?

Yup, that should be fine. Provided there is sufficient flow coming from it, to circulate the water around the LR, then there shouldn't be a problem. Your tank is a 125L, so 125x10 = 1250 LPH. If your juwel filter pump is rated either close to or above that, then the circulation is adequate.

If you have an ebay account then I can pm you a link to some pumps that will be good for when you decide to put corals in your tank too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back