Nasty Salt Resident Costia

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

alexp1965

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am new in this forum but not new in hobby.
Since I could not find a section for fish sickness, I am posting my question as emergency here, please move it to the right section if you like.

Story started with two fancy Ranchu Goldfish imported from China that I have purchased with high price from reputable store.

120gal tank, Fluval FX5, 36W UVS system, water parameter are perfect, only these two fish, they thrived and got double size in 6 months.
So far so good, very soon and after I have added another Goldfish again from reputable store and good health, new fish show the sign of flushing and while spots on the gills (not Ich) as a result of mucus coming out due to parasite attack. Parasite attack was so bad that I have lost the new fish in 2 weeks.

But these 2 Ranchu was only showing mild flushes from time to time, kind of get used to the parasite they brought to my tank from China.

I have tried all kind of medications to fight with parasite but no result, only managed to narrow down the parasite and believe it is salt resistance Costia.
I have seen white patches on the body and flushing plus other signs that all pointed to Costia.

Due to unexpected travel, and an infection that these two Ranchu got while I was away, I have lost these two fish.
I have cleaned entire tank and left it running for 4 weeks with no fish to allow all parasite to die before introduce new fish, this time tropical fish without killing all beneficial bacteria that I had in my FX5 as Bio Media.

As soon as I have introduced tropical fish to the tank, noticed all flushing and soon seen white patches on some, such as Mollies and Platies and lost some, but Angles seems to be stronger and from time to time flushing.

As I mentioned, I have tried 3 teaspoon salt or one table spoon salt per gallon for 2-3 weeks but no luck, tried Hikari Prazi for Fluke, safe Cupper based med from Marden, Jungle Parasite Clear + Prazi, all meds that does not destroy beneficial bacteria population but no luck. I have read about Malacite Green and some others that destroy beneficial bacteria but did not use them as I have to treat entire 120gal tank with fish in it, since it is a parasite, fish cannot be treated alone using hospital tank, entire system need to be treated.

Bottom line, fish are happy and eating and my Angles kids are growing fast and all but still have 1-2 Platty in tank with nasty white patched of Costia and other flush from time to time.

I have dealt with all kind of parasite in past years with hobby and illness but could not deal with Costia parasite that I have.
I am appositive that I am dealing with Costia and no other parasites.

I’d appreciated if someone with experience with Parasites advise me with Costia.

Regards,
Alex

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back