Narcissus The Great!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LunaBug

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have had my betta for roughly a month now and as much as I love him I'm convinced he is one of those "special" animals. Narcissus (the fish) has next to nothing as far as an aggressive attitude goes. I'm still not sure exactly what TYPE of betta he is, he was labeled as a double tail but I am unsure what kind. He has a bad habit of chewing on his tail so right now he looks like a crown tail but when I bought him his tail was much fuller. Part of the tail damage was caused by his insistence on acting like a catfish. I originally has two little peppered corys in with him (until they sadly died after a water change) and Narcissus attempted to school with them. He was never aggressive towards them, he just liked to swim along the bottom (usually in the lead of the formation) and hang out with them going as far as to attempt eating their sinking algae disks. After the corys passed Narcissus went into what seemed like a mourning state (which I was unaware was possible for fish) so I attempted to cheer him up with some white cloud minnows. I expected him to possibly begin flaring at them when they were introduced but the he instead decided to get more upset with the plastic bag they were being floated in for being near his fake plant, when they were released into the tank with him he completely ignored them for roughly 2 hours before he even acknowledged their existence. I'm not entirely sure I got a normal fish since he also has an affinity for playing in the brown algae that is plaguing his tank right now by literally rolling in it. The rest of his time is spent guarding his plants (he holds claim over a fake plant and some small live swords) and begging everyone who glances his way to come feed him (typically by what I've termed "playing dead" and then swimming up to where I feed him at and staring then repeating until the person either walks away or walks over to him).

Narcissus.jpg

Is what I'm describing normal betta splendens behavior or did I manage to pick out a fish that is the weirdo of the breed?

yep a double tail.

Well not all bettas are aggressive. some are more mellow than others.

Great fish btw!

tHey are just like kids. They fight with each other but not with other people

He is quite pretty :)
My new boy Drifter (I call him that because that's his favorite thing to do - drift in the filter current) doesn't have an angry bone in his body. I'm thinking I may put some guppy fry in with him if any appear anytime soon in my 30 gal. And he can be like the guardian of the nursery - if he doesn't eat them. 

Right now he's not so pretty thanks to his self-mutilating ways. I swear every time I think I have his tank entirely betta friendly he finds a new way to rip up his finnage, even resorting to his own mouth.

Most reactions

trending

Back