Nano Tank Set Up Help: Plant + Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alexp08

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello. I have a Fluval Spec III in my office at work. It been running for a little over a month now. I had 1 ghost shrimp and 3 neon tetras. About a week ago i drained all the water, replaced the carbon and switch out the substrate with black sand Flourite.  It now has 5 banana plants and a single ghost shrimp.

Basically what fish could be put in the tank. and should i put a different plant in there aside from the banana plants? I can say that the banana plants dont look that great...i.e. they have some brown on the leafs. But thats how they were bought from the fish store. 

Any help is appreciated thanks

Is this Fluval Spec iii the 10 litre or 19 litre tank?

Academic anyway, since both these tank sizes are far too small for neon tetras, also banana plants grow fairly big so will outgrow your tank eventually, especially 5 banana plants :/

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/paracheirodon-innesi/

Despite their small size, neons are active little fish and do need quite a bit of swimming space, i would say 60 litres / 15 US gals would be minimum for neon tetras am afraid.

I would suggest a single Betta would be ok in that 10 litre (2.6 US gals)  tank, thats the very minimum tank size i would suggest for a betta. Your shrimp may be at risk from the Betta though :/

Another option you may consider doing is a shrimp only set up, these are cool and a few ghost shrimps would be fine in there with some low tech plants such as moss balls, java fern, java moss and vallis perhaps.

Its technically the 10 liter but 11.3 liters fit in with about a half inch to the top. But I have since taken out the tetras. And the banana plants are still fairly small

Why not try a shrimp and/or snail tank? Even 11.5 L is a bit too small for a betta. There's no swimming room really and I think a betta could get quite stressed and/or bored in a small space like that.

Im not a huge fan of shrimp tanks. I was really hoping for fish

Okay so update. I have taken out the banana plants and put in a anubias plant and and another plant which the name slipped me atm. So im still on the fish stock. Anything other than a betta or inverts?

Sorry, but no, the tank is very small to be able to fit in anything other than, a single Betta, snails perhaps and shrimp only set ups.

If you really want o have more fish choices, then a larger tank is the only real practical solution :/

Minimum basic sized tank i would recommend to have a small shoal of fish would be 10 gallons / 40 litres but better yet being 15 gals / 60 litres as this will give more options regarding fish choices.

Yea I know its small buts getting a bigger one for my office is a no go. Anyways, is it a bad idea for the shrimp to remain in there with yhe betta?

Well, its a hit or miss situation regarding bettas and shrimps in same tank. 

More often than not, the betta will peck at or eat the shrimps really, there are exceptions of course that betta will leave shrimps alone but not worth the risk, just making shrimps expensive snacks for the betta!

Snails are usually fine with Bettas.

Sometime a betta may peck at the shell or something then get bored and leave the snail alone.

Given the choice, I'd would go for betta, snails and a few small low tech plants, will look nice :)

Well I just bought a beautiful red betta, the tank has an anubias and a amazon sword in it. Snail to come tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Excellent, bet it looks good.

If you could, a pic would be great :)

2uiiww3.jpg

Well for whatever reasom my pictures always show up sideways.

would it be wise/unwise, possible/not possible,  to put a female in with him? keep him company.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back