Nano tank betta gift - help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Yeah I guess my brain went: regular plants need dirt for nutrients & I assumed Iā€™d have to make big changes for live plants. Itā€™s really nice to know theyā€™re not as care intensive as I expected! Iā€™m going to be a busy bee at the store today.

Yes, my next question is hugs, can I have one? ^_^ Thank you so much again, I know Iā€™ve required some hand holding and youā€™ve been great about guiding me!

Hereā€™s my shopping list for today based off reading & replies on here:

Safe Start (tetra)

Beneficial bacteria

Heater, 50watt

Anacharis plant & marimo ball

Holding/emergency mini tank

Test strips

Decor (cave)

Properly heighten silk plants

The last one being due to getting one too tall before! I figured oh well, Iā€™m already starting my own tank so Iā€™ll pop it in there instead someday

To quarantine the plants for a bit before they go into the tank. They will be from a chain store so I was thinking I should wait to see if there was anything nasty on them since I wonā€™t risk the tank itself as Iā€™m on a Countdown to Birthday.

Plus I might need it down the road so I figured why not be prepared.

you can use a bucket for plants or a plastic storage container. Plastic can be bleached repeatedly to clean it but silicon breaks down if bleached regularly.

So have you decided not to get Anubis? :)

I picked up an Anubias in fact Didnā€™t see the other kind in stores.

I found silk plants I liked but no cave really jumped out at me. Is there anything particular I should look for when selecting a cave for a betta?

The plant is still in its little quarantine but so far so good. No little buggies or anything on it so Iā€™ll give it a couple more days (itā€™s getting good sunlight where itā€™s at) before adding it to the tank.

I took a water reading a couple days after adding the beneficial bacteria (used microbe-lift) and everything came out at the lowest or second lowest level (some of the colors looked similar) so I think we are moving in the right direction!

Also I looked for driftwood. The only kind I found in the aquarium department was grapevine, and I think I remember reading some not so great stuff about that. There were a couple of other kinds in the reptile department. I canā€™t use those, can I?

You can, but it is not really ideal, because in my opinion it doesnā€™t look as good as say spider wood!

Not really, just pick the cave you think looks best! And also, make shure that it doesnā€™t have any sharp edges on it, and it wonā€™t hog up the tank!! God job so far!

(I would love to see a pic. Of the tank! ;))

85D27FA1-C2D4-4891-86A6-1AD9F9B64B3E.jpeg

Itā€™s still under construction but making decent headway!

Can I have a second opinion on whether this care sheet has everything it needs??

Food time!
- Stomach = Smaller than the size of their eyeball!
- Add one tiny pinch of food & only add more if there is nothing left after one minute. Extra food dirties the water & can make the fish sick. [[I need to double check the food instructions & will include those as well]]

Weekly
- Test tank water before change (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0-20 nitrates)
- Water change (prepare & treat water overnight, remove 25% & replace with new)
- Gently squeeze moss ball over sink
- 1 day fast: Do not feed your fish for a single day per week.

Monthly
- Filter change
- Gravel cleaning

Needs:
- Surface access: they breath from air & water!
- Tank lid closed: Bettas are jumpers!
- Do not leave lights on for more than 8 hours a day. No colored lights for more than 5 at a time.
- Silk plants (no plastic!) & aquarium specific items ONLY!
- No additional tank buddies; fighting fish (except the snail Iā€™ll get you next month!)

Water
- 75-82ā€™ (tropical fishy)
- Must be treated with ā€˜betta safeā€™ & left overnight before being added to the tank (clean, no chlorine, no heavy metal, no bad PH)
- Neutral PH (7.0)
- If worried about water use 1 test strip to check quality (call me)

Howā€™s it looking thus far?

That is almost perfect!! Good job!!

The only thing that I noticed is that you said ā€œchange the filterā€ by saying that, did you mean change the filter cartridge? You donā€™t need to change it every week, or even every month, only change it when it starts to fall apart. :). It contains beneficial bacteria. ;)

I do think you need a cave thou, it looks kind of empty. :)

Ooo got it! I didnā€™t think about the fact that itā€™s a new tank & probably needs to let that really build. Iā€™ll make sure she knows to leave it alone for a long while.

I definitely want a cave of some sort, I just didnā€™t like the selection when I went out to get the plants & stuff. Tomorrow is another shopping trip though!! Iā€™ll get the net, thermometer, and maybe I will find a cave I like.

I also ordered those little circular chart versions of pH and ammonia measurers by SeaChem. Iā€™m not going to discount the strips, rather I think it would be an additional help. Given that she is a kid I think it would be a great way to keep her paying attention to those levels. I have to wait for those to ship in though. Ordered one for my own future tank too

Hilarious note: I initially thought this would be a small, little project... I have already spent three times my original budget & done 16 hours research in order to do this properly - she betta love this fish, lol!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back