Nano Tank (6.5) Gallon stocking ideas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fisharefriends2

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas preferably unique ones for stocking a 6.5 gallon, here are some of the ideas I currently have/have heard of let me know what you think or other ideas you have:

-1 Betta fish and a nerite snail OR 3-6 dwarf cory cats OR 2 African dwarf frogs OR 1 dwarf orange crayfish
-A pair of licorice gourami
-1 Sparkling gourami
-3 male guppies
-1 honey gourami
-3 African Dwarf Frogs and 5 freshwater shrimp

I'm looking for ideas preferably unique ones for stocking a 6.5 gallon, here are some of the ideas I currently have/have heard of let me know what you think or other ideas you have:

-1 Betta fish and a nerite snail OR 3-6 dwarf cory cats OR 2 African dwarf frogs OR 1 dwarf orange crayfish
-A pair of licorice gourami
-1 Sparkling gourami
-3 male guppies
-1 honey gourami
-3 African Dwarf Frogs and 5 freshwater shrimp
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

I think a 6.5 gallon will be to small for all these fish, but I could be wrong. Is there a chance you could go for anything a little bigger?

Not to worry, there are still other options if not.

Best of luck.

Can you post your source water parameters, the GH and pH particularly. Nano fish are often wild caught (the soft water species anyway) so there is less adaptability.

Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

I think a 6.5 gallon will be to small for all these fish, but I could be wrong. Is there a chance you could go for anything a little bigger?

Not to worry, there are still other options if not.

Best of luck.
I can't go any bigger as I am technically limited at 5 gallons by the University so I am already pushing it with my 6.5. What other options do you know of?

Can you post your source water parameters, the GH and pH particularly. Nano fish are often wild caught (the soft water species anyway) so there is less adaptability.
The PH is at 6.8-7.0
I'm can't be 100% of the GH because I have never tested it with a liquid kit and I don't trust the strips but I know the with the lime build-up and water taste it's very high. If the strips are to be believed it was at about 350ppm.

I can't go any bigger as I am technically limited at 5 gallons by the University so I am already pushing it with my 6.5. What other options do you know of?
Can you clarify how much your 6.5 gallon is in litres? Measurements can vary depending on which country you’re located in.

Could you also post the measurements of your tank? L x w x h.

Most people would only keep one single Betta in a tank this size, a 5 gallon is standard size for a Betta to be happy.

I know of people who have kept endlers in tanks this size but I would not do it myself personally.

A 10 gallon would probably give you more options but I understand it’s not always possible to get a bigger tank.

Best of luck.

The PH is at 6.8-7.0
I'm can't be 100% of the GH because I have never tested it with a liquid kit and I don't trust the strips but I know the with the lime build-up and water taste it's very high. If the strips are to be believed it was at about 350ppm.
The hardiness of your water supply can be found by your local water supplier.

If you post your results on this thread, Byron can calculate this for you.

The PH is at 6.8-7.0

If the GH is close to that, I would expect a higher pH, so it will be advisable to check into this. The water authority may have a website with this data, or you can call them. You (we) need to know the general or total hardness, and make sure with the number you get their unit of measurement (mg/l, ppm, dH, or whatever).

There are some nice options for this tank notwithstanding the small size, but the GH will be important to ensure we don't mis-advise.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back