Nano Newbie

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Suanough

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to nano tanks and am beginning to setup two 5g fresh water tanks for Bettas.

I'm looking for suggestions for substrates to use as I want to plant both tanks.

Great forum, glad I found y'all...

:):fish:

hi and welcome to the forum :)

you can use any gravel you want for plants. If you want to put something under the gravel you can but in a small tank it is probably best not to add too much. Small red clay balls put under each plant will help them and won't take up much space.

I find that sand substrates are good for stem plants that have thinner roots. Using large gravel doesn't make the best substrate for plants, there isn't much for the roots to hand onto and it seems to take longer for them to get established IMO.

I'd personally use a sand substrate with flourite black sand underneath. The flourite hold many nutrients as it is like river silt and the sand on top will keep the dusty flourite from getting in the water column and making a mess. Wouldn't be a bad idea to watch some youtube videos on how to set up nano planted tanks. You'll get more ideas that way.

Hi! Welcome!

I'm sure the veteran members will have more information than I do, but I have 3 tanks running right now and the 2 with sand substrate are having the best luck with live plants.

Thanks for all the great information... I'm getting ready to setup my 20 gallon community tank and my Fluval Spec V. I live about 50 mi from Houston and there just aren't many fish stores near me. I'm wondering where y'all order fish from. I'm not crazy about mail order fish but I think it's the only way I'm going to get quality fish... :)

Check your local area for an aquarium society and if you find one nearby, visit their meetings and see if they have any fish for sale.

WOW, I had no idea... Houston has bunches of clubs, forums, and societies. If I can't find it here I need to take up knitting..
Thanks so much Colin_T. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back