Mystery Pleco? Need Help Iding Him!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Starryskylights

Reaction score
My Boyfriend and I recently purchased a used tank (33gallons) that ended up coming with a Pleco. We're a bit lost as to what kind he is though? Any thoughs would be appreciated, plus what size tank he'll need. We do plan on upgrading him to a 110 Gallon in the next year but I'm a bit concerned he might be a common and need a new home sooner rather then later. Thank you so much for the help!

He's roughly 6 1/2 inches long and is incredibly active. So far we've been feeding him both algae wafers and shrimp pellets. We tried some blanched cucumber vut he seemed more interested in it as a toy rather then a food source. Hopefully the pictures are clear enough, but please let me know if you need more angles. My boyfriend is attached to this guy now and we want to do whatever it takes to keep him alive.

Attachments

• rps20160509_235842_266.jpg
    rps20160509_235842_266.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 158
  • rps20160509_235724_615.jpeg
    rps20160509_235724_615.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 177
Yup, he looks like a common pleco. The sooner you can get him in a suitable sized tank the better. 110 gallons would be big enough. Good luck.

Alright, thank you :) that's what I was afraid of. Would the 110 be big enough for his entire life span or should we look into getting an even bigger one? I've read these fish can live for up to twenty years and we definitely want to make sure he's well taken care of.

I've often heard that 55 is big enough, so I think that 110 would be fine. I have a common pleco in a 120 gallon tank.

a 55G is probally the smallest you could do for a common pleco, but since it would get to anywhere from 12-24Inches long, it would outgrow your tank within a year 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back