Mysterious sickness

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It’s nice to know some people actually listen to advice given. :)

I think my fish have neon tetra disease one of the danios died and had a bent back and white spots all over it.

Neon tetra disease does not cause white spots or a bent back.

If any of the fish have spots or weird markings, take some pictures and check them on your computer. Find a couple that clearly show the problem and post them on here so we can see the issue.

If the fish have small white dots on their body and fins (it looks like someone has sprinkled salt on them), then they have whitespot.

If they have cream, white or grey patches on their body they have a protozoan infection like costia, chilodonella, or trichodina.

I don’t know what i should do there is to many problems with my aquarium i cant start over i cant afford to my dad wont let me get rid of any fish. And yes they are still dying.btw my angel fishes fins are torn.

Last edited:
post more pics and describe the symptoms.

None of them are showing the symptoms at the moment but the symptoms are separation from the shoal if they shoal and gasping for air always staying near the surface sometimes discolouration .

Are they doing a stringy white poop?

Are they eating normally?

If any of them start to show symptoms, video it and post the clip here. If the video is too big for the website, put it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can go to YouTube and view it there.

Are they doing a stringy white poop?

Are they eating normally?

The ones that died I noticed that beforehand they weren’t eating at all and were completely ignoring food. I didn’t notice any string white poop but i wasn’t looking for it.
611a2c1d7cca4f8fc48ea0627ecf2315.jpg
here the angel fishes torn fins thanks if any of them show symptoms i will video it for now i will do a water change.

Last edited:
You would notice the stringy white poop if the fish do it.

If they are not eating for 24 hours before they gasp for air and die, they probably have an internal bacterial infection. Normally fish that have this, will become fat/ bloat up overnight and stop feeding. Then die shortly after that.

Depending on what medications are available you should look for an anti-biotic. This type of medication will wipe out filter bacteria.

---------------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will absorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

You would notice the stringy white poop if the fish do it.

If they are not eating for 24 hours before they gasp for air and die, they probably have an internal bacterial infection. Normally fish that have this, will become fat/ bloat up overnight and stop feeding. Then die shortly after that.

Depending on what medications are available you should look for an anti-biotic. This type of medication will wipe out filter bacteria.

---------------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will absorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

If the antibiotic will wipe out my filter bacteria does that mean it will restart my cycle?
Also will any of these work?
e4bf8c628066585ff2030e172f6c6173.jpg

If not whats a good brand of antibiotic to get?

yes the anti-biotics will wipe out the filter bacteria and you will have to cycle the tank again.

I don't know what the ingredients are in those medications and the Interpet website doesn't give me any info. If you can check the bottles and packaging for ingredients, it would help. I will go out on a limb and say the Interpet Anti Internal bacteria medication would be the one to use, assuming it is an anti-biotic.

yes the anti-biotics will wipe out the filter bacteria and you will have to cycle the tank again.

I don't know what the ingredients are in those medications and the Interpet website doesn't give me any info. If you can check the bottles and packaging for ingredients, it would help. I will go out on a limb and say the Interpet Anti Internal bacteria medication would be the one to use, assuming it is an anti-biotic.

91794412050288b552c58479d96f56cf.jpg

I have never used the Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria but the instructions would suggest it isn't safe for scaleless fishes (elephant nose), and it could be harmful to Otocinclus catfish.

The ingredients are not anti-biotics as such but they do kill bacteria and inhibit bacterial growth.

If you have a spare tank you could move the catfish out and treat the remaining fish in the main tank. If you don't have a spare tank then I wouldn't use that medication.

Anti-biotics that might work include Kanamycin, Tetracycline, Doxycyclene. I can't advise on which to use because different countries have different laws about anti-biotcs. If you can contact a few local pet shops and ask them what they have, I might be able to offer more advice when I know what you can get.

Most reactions

Back