My Tiger Barb Is Changing Colors!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dsiegel13

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was feeding the barbs this morning and I noticed that my biggest Tiger barb is changing colors. She/He (not really sure) was of standard coloring, with the normal black stripes on a copper body and red accents on her dorsal and fins. This morning half her body was (from top to middle girth) was blackish green, maybe all black, it was hard to tell, but definitely her top half was no longer striped, it was a solid color.

Is this normal or should I be worried?

I tried to take pics, but they didn't come out too good, I will try again tonight after work, but not sure if this is common of the barbs.

It is quite common; most fish can change colour.

It's likely to be male tiger; they go dark (when they're stressed, fighting or in breeding condition) more than the females.

Have you checked the water, just in case it is a water quality problem that's stressing the fish out?

It is quite common; most fish can change colour.

It's likely to be male tiger; they go dark (when they're stressed, fighting or in breeding condition) more than the females.

Have you checked the water, just in case it is a water quality problem that's stressing the fish out?

I checked the water last night, and all the levels were fine: Ammonia, nitrites were zero, Nitrates were 20, pH was at 7... guess he is just getting in the mood for love or something.

I have noticed that the barbs have been jockeying for hierarchy a bunch lately, but thought that was normal from everything I read.

Hope that it is just normal color change, thanks.

Everyone's tigers seem to be going a bit mental atm; I think it must be that time of year

:hey:

Mine are doing it too and are looking a bit tatty right now.

Everyone's tigers seem to be going a bit mental atm; I think it must be that time of year

:hey:

Mine are doing it too and are looking a bit tatty right now.

I tried to get a picture of him tonight, but he is rambunctious and won't sit still and pose for a pic.

I have never seen his dorsal fin stick up this straight and the red accents on the dorsal and pectoral fins are the brightest that I have ever seen on him or any of the other Tigers... I am guessing he is in heat or rut or whatever fish do when they are randy :hey: .

Hope he doesn't hurt any of the ladies in the tank, I thought Tigers were egg layers and almost impossible to mate if you are not trying to mate them? There is no way that their eggs (if that is what they are up to) will survive in my tank, unless the mom/pop can fend off the other 3 Tigers and various random inhabitants in the tank...

I was feeding the barbs this morning and I noticed that my biggest Tiger barb is changing colors. She/He (not really sure) was of standard coloring, with the normal black stripes on a copper body and red accents on her dorsal and fins. This morning half her body was (from top to middle girth) was blackish green, maybe all black, it was hard to tell, but definitely her top half was no longer striped, it was a solid color.

Is this normal or should I be worried?

I tried to take pics, but they didn't come out too good, I will try again tonight after work, but not sure if this is common of the barbs.

how many do you have?
aggression, amongst Tigers, lessens as the school get bigger.

It's quite easy to get tigers to spawn in a tank; as you said, dsiegel13, it's more that the eggs don't survive in a normal community tank; you'd need a proper spawning tank filled with fine-leaved plants, spawning mops or a layer of pebbles or marbles in the bottom for the eggs to fall between.

The mom/pop will very likely be first in line for eating the eggs; tigers don't show any parental instincts at all!

One of my females lost most of her tail last year; it took ony a few weeks to grow back :good:

how many do you have?
aggression, amongst Tigers, lessens as the school get bigger.

I have 5 tigers, they are in the community tank w/ my 4 Platies and 1 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish. They leave the platies and the rainbow alone, they only congregate with the other fish during feeding and mostly stick to themselves and only chase each other around the tank when they are bored... this week there was some extra aggression from the big male, but no biting/nipping just chasing and that kissing/pushing/spinning thing they do.

It's quite easy to get tigers to spawn in a tank; as you said, dsiegel13, it's more that the eggs don't survive in a normal community tank; you'd need a proper spawning tank filled with fine-leaved plants, spawning mops or a layer of pebbles or marbles in the bottom for the eggs to fall between.

The mom/pop will very likely be first in line for eating the eggs; tigers don't show any parental instincts at all!

One of my females lost most of her tail last year; it took ony a few weeks to grow back :good:

Well good luck to any of the eggs in my tank, if they make it to the bottom they will be okay, at least until next week, when I am redoing my entire tank, substrate/plants/wood/water, everything but the heater and filter are out... so hope they don't spawn until after that if that is even what they are up to. I don't have a second tank, so the spawning tank idea is out, besides 10 fish is plenty in my tank.

Tiger Barbs were the very first fish I got and they hold a special place in my heart, I love em!

They are pretty cool. Definitely staying in the tank for a while, thinking about increasing the population if I decide to give them a tank of their own.

Dig the blue bubble wall in your signature's tank!

I have a question . We just bought a tank with some tiger barbs and other fish that were in the same tank, but only 2 tiger barbs 7 all together. Do they need at least 5 of their own kind to be okay? No one said we can't do just one or two. The fins changed colors on one and that one won't stop chasing the other one. They have just been in the new tank for two days. Any insight is welcome. Thank you!!

With just two, what you describe is the normal situation. These are normally kept in groups to allow, at least a vague, evening out of the action. In a very small group, the most dominant fish will harrass the less dominant until it dies. I am loathed to say you should increase the number because if it is a recent set up, the tank may not be mature enough to cope with anything extra. Tank size might also be an issue. Difficult to comment really.

Okay this is my tank. They seem to be mellowing out a bit now. Still kind of chases the other barb but that's it.

With just two, what you describe is the normal situation. These are normally kept in groups to allow, at least a vague, evening out of the action. In a very small group, the most dominant fish will harrass the less dominant until it dies. I am loathed to say you should increase the number because if it is a recent set up, the tank may not be mature enough to cope with anything extra. Tank size might also be an issue. Difficult to comment really.

Attachments

• 1519906895896960314513.jpg
    1519906895896960314513.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 413

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back