My tank is high in nitrates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Angel.lisa

Reaction score
Hello... I have had my tank set up for 8weeks.i am so new at this but did lots of research and Dr Google has been my best friend, also my parents had a tank when I was you g so have a little knowledge from them..
it's 130L and introduced fish after the 2second week...
So week4
my nitrate levels were fine (got them tested at local fish shop)
Ammonia levels were also fine.
Week 5
went to introduce more fish and took water sample to the shop and nitrates levels were sky high.. was recommended salt, regular small water changes and aqua pure balls ( add to filter and it slowly releases good bacteria and maintains clear,healthy water. Recommended to add 5 balls each water change... first water change when I got home was a 50%
2 days later 10-15% and then again 2 days later..
Week 7
Went back to fish shop and my levels are still high.(not as high) Guy in shop is saying daily water changes 10% continue with the clear aqua balls but stop with the salt... (also I do the tap safe)
In the tank is roughly

2 Angels
9 guppies
2 mollies
4 minnows
4 neons
4 barbs

Am I overstocked??
Is this why levels are high??
I was told I wasn't overstocked. But if I am how many fish would someone recommend in my 130L??
Thanks in advance

Also I only have a ship, bridge and plastic bush in there they look like they got plenty of room. They don't look I'll upset/stressed

It would appear that your tank isn't cycled (see how to tips).

Stocking is subjective but I think you probably added too many fish too quickly. The first thing to do is carry on doing daily water changes of about 20% (don't forget to de-chlorinate tap water) and cut down the amount of food you are feeding the fish by half for the next couple of weeks. Fish don't need to eat nearly as much as you might think they do, they will be ok with less food.

Make sure you remove any waste or uneaten food that may settle in the tank.

Get yourself a test kit, the drip type. It would be helpful if you could post your test levels. It may also be worth checking your tap water as these could be high in the first place.

It's not too hard to turn around this situation but you may lose fish or trigger disease if this is not kept in check.

Good luck

Last edited:
Thank you. I am going to get a test kit soon... was thinking I added fish to quick.. when doing the water changes I do sweep over the bottom on tank to collect waste etc... i will start doing 20% changes now to see if this helps.i do also keep topping uo the tapsafe when doing this.I thought I was cutting down on food but probably could cut down on some more (I just don't like to see the poor fishes hungry Lol) guess this is just going to take time.
Thanks for taking the time to help.

Most reactions

Back