My Swordtail Just Gave Birth

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

theking

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I counted 3 fry and about 5 eggs.. can anyone tell me how long does it take for the eggs to "hatch"?

Also, even though I have a lot of hiding places - can my gouramis and neon tetras become a danger to the fry?

the eggs look white with a little black spot, i cant tell for sure as they are very very small

I counted 3 fry and about 5 eggs.. can anyone tell me how long does it take for the eggs to "hatch"?

Also, even though I have a lot of hiding places - can my gouramis and neon tetras become a danger to the fry?

the eggs look white with a little black spot, i cant tell for sure as they are very very small

Any fish that can fit the fry in its mouth will eat the fry if they can catch it. You need to either get a separate fry tank, or at least a fry net for them to be in inside your main tank so that the other fish can't get to them.

Whatever these 'eggs' are they are not from a swordtail, they are livebearers. Are you absolutely sure they are fish eggs?

It looks very very small I cant really tell but it looks rounded with a black dot on it.. I may be mistaking them for my gravel but I do not know..

Now as far as a separate tank - how do I catch the fry? they are very small and fast

Maybe use two nets to try and corner them, then swoop in with one of them. Try not to chase them around too much, you don't want to stress them out too much.

Good luck!

You were absolutely correct. That was no eggs, it was a piece of gravel that resembled the shape of a few fish eggs tied up together. The fish are hiding inside a building that no fish can fit in except them so I presume they will be ok there until they grow abit.

Do you know how long would it take these fish to grow?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back