Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

my pregnant molly

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by Whiskerz, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Whiskerz

Whiskerz Member

Hey!!!
    I have a dalmation molly and she's prego... except i dunno when shes gonna have the fry, i bought her already pregnant and her belly is pretty big....can anyone give me an estimate when she'll have them? I have her set up in a 15 gallon already just incase she has them soon

thanx :D

2. snowyangel

snowyangel Member

just became an american *play dramatic music*
    It's hard to guess without a picture given. Usually when a female is due to give birth, her stomach will be so swollen it will be almost square. Her gravid spot will also be large and very dark. Here's a picture of my female guppy 2 hrs before she had fry just to show you how big the belly will stretch.
    [​IMG]

3. Xavier

Xavier Member

Hey whiskerz, im in the same position. i bought my dalmatian molly just yesterday and i thought that she was going to pop any mintue and hours after i put her in i could see her straining to push something and her vent was opening as she did but nothin. i was so frustrated so i'll give her time.

4. Whiskerz

Whiskerz Member

I tried taking a pic using my webcam but she just doesnt wanna stay still lol, i will try and get one soon so u can see :)

5. shadow

shadow Member

i had bought a prego mollie(dalmation) and it was two days after i had her that she had her babies. if she's new to the tank, i think she needs to feel comfortable. i did, however check in the gravel once a day just to make sure.
    her belly will almost be like a square.
    good luck with the babies!

6. Whiskerz

Whiskerz Member

yup her belly is square and its huge, im guessing she'll have them within a week, i just wanted to see what u guys thought, im tryin to take a pic of her right now but she's swimming around like crazy and its hard to take a good pic lol

7. Koiboy

Koiboy Member

This might sound a bit silly but make sure u do plant it out and have a place for the babies to go and hide many a time my live bearers have give birth in seperate tanks and the mums have eaten thier own young. :( oh and watch for the babies swimming down the gaps between the gravel.

8. Whiskerz

Whiskerz Member

yup, everything is set :nod:
    I will be watching everyday cuz im in my room 24/7 and the tank is right beside me lol