My Platy Fish Is Pecking The Other Platys, What Do I Do?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

redwagplatycuties

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So today (3-15-14) I got two new red wag platies,one male and one female :D I was SUPER excited since my last two platies had died from old age. The red wag platies that I got were supposed to school with my original red wag, Ariana ( as you can tell she's a female). I introduced them to the tank (5 gal) a couple hours ago (inside the tank there were two original fish, Ariana and Cheese, a goldfish). I checked on the newcomers just now and found out that my beloved Ariana was terrorizing (grrrrr) the new fish. She kept on pecking them, EVEN the female (mostly her actually) and I'm afraid for them because my new female is pregnant and i don't want any bullies to stress her out. The male has been attacked too and i'm afraid that he and the female won't settle. I'm not sure what's happening(, but I hate to see Ariana turn into a monster) because the new fish also have clamped fins now, that only unclamp when Ari's gone! These fish are obviously terrified!!! They're much smaller than Ariana and can't stand against her. I don't want my new babies to die so PLEASE help!!!!!!!!!  (PS I have begginers experience and am only a kid, so don't ask me to use a chainsaw or something) Thank you to everybody who answers! What do I do with this new bully????

welcomeani.gif
to TFF! Hope you enjoy it here.

I believe the aggression may be caused by too many fish in too small a tank.

Platys are recommended for 15g+ tanks, and fancy goldfish are usually recommended 20g+ for the first and 15g+ for each additional.
If it's a comet goldfish then 75g+, or a pond even would be better.

Fish do set up territories, so it might help to re-arrange the tank for now until you can upgrade.
You'll want a bigger tank for the platies and then a separate tank for the goldfish as they require different temperatures.

redwagplatycuties said:
Thank you so much for this reply!!!!! I'll try to rearrange the tank! 
fish.gif

photo.gif
You're welcome, please keep us updated! I hope it works.

Ninjouzata said:
welcomeani.gif
to TFF! Hope you enjoy it here.

Platys are recommended for 15g+ tanks, and fancy goldfish are usually recommended 20g+ for the first and 15g+ for each additional.

Fish do set up territories, so it might help to re-arrange the tank for now until you can upgrade.
You'll want a bigger tank for the platies and then a separate tank for the goldfish as they require different temperatures.

Okay, today I made a plan 
yes.gif
 I figured since I have a comet goldfish that a friend gave to me, I can't give it away, so a plan has sprung up for an outdoor pond 30- 60 gal  for the comet (who's only like 5 inches right now)and any other fish in my tank right now. It would either be this plan, or a fountain in a shady spot that she would live in.... What do you think? We might be contacting a landscaper soon :D Thank You!  
PS I live in a climate with extremely hot summers, so that would be a problem, yet I don't have a chance getting a 30 gal or larger for my fish right now.:D

ok i would say if its a male platy picking females he trying to mate

redwagplatycuties said:
So today (3-15-14) I got two new red wag platies,one male and one female
biggrin.png
I was SUPER excited since my last two platies had died from old age. The red wag platies that I got were supposed to school with my original red wag, Ariana ( as you can tell she's a female). I introduced them to the tank (5 gal) a couple hours ago (inside the tank there were two original fish, Ariana and Cheese, a goldfish). I checked on the newcomers just now and found out that my beloved Ariana was terrorizing (grrrrr) the new fish. She kept on pecking them, EVEN the female (mostly her actually) and I'm afraid for them because my new female is pregnant and i don't want any bullies to stress her out. The male has been attacked too and i'm afraid that he and the female won't settle. I'm not sure what's happening(, but I hate to see Ariana turn into a monster) because the new fish also have clamped fins now, that only unclamp when Ari's gone! These fish are obviously terrified!!! They're much smaller than Ariana and can't stand against her. I don't want my new babies to die so PLEASE help!!!!!!!!!  (PS I have begginers experience and am only a kid, so don't ask me to use a chainsaw or something) Thank you to everybody who answers! What do I do with this new bully????

guppyguy1234 said:

ok i would say if its a male platy picking females he trying to mate

So today (3-15-14) I got two new red wag platies,one male and one female
biggrin.png
I was SUPER excited since my last two platies had died from old age. The red wag platies that I got were supposed to school with my original red wag, Ariana ( as you can tell she's a female). I introduced them to the tank (5 gal) a couple hours ago (inside the tank there were two original fish, Ariana and Cheese, a goldfish). I checked on the newcomers just now and found out that my beloved Ariana was terrorizing (grrrrr) the new fish. She kept on pecking them, EVEN the female (mostly her actually) and I'm afraid for them because my new female is pregnant and i don't want any bullies to stress her out. The male has been attacked too and i'm afraid that he and the female won't settle. I'm not sure what's happening(, but I hate to see Ariana turn into a monster) because the new fish also have clamped fins now, that only unclamp when Ari's gone! These fish are obviously terrified!!! They're much smaller than Ariana and can't stand against her. I don't want my new babies to die so PLEASE help!!!!!!!!!  (PS I have begginers experience and am only a kid, so don't ask me to use a chainsaw or something) Thank you to everybody who answers! What do I do with this new bully????

If you read the post carefully, it is a female platy being aggressive towards a younger male and female.

redwagplatycuties said:
:hi: to TFF! Hope you enjoy it here.

Okay, today I made a plan :nod:  I figured since I have a comet goldfish that a friend gave to me, I can't give it away, so a plan has sprung up for an outdoor pond 30- 60 gal  for the comet (who's only like 5 inches right now)and any other fish in my tank right now. It would either be this plan, or a fountain in a shady spot that she would live in.... What do you think? We might be contacting a landscaper soon :D Thank You!  PS I live in a climate with extremely hot summers, so that would be a problem, yet I don't have a chance getting a 30 gal or larger for my fish right now.:D
Your pond would need to be much larger than that. As has already been stated, the minimum tank for comets is 100 gallons. I used to breed these guys. At a year old, they were all at least twelve inches long and several inches thick. Our two-year-olds averaged fifteen inches. If your fish is already five inches long and lives in a five gallon tank, it is highly likely that this fish is already beginning to stunt. You need to rehome this fellow for the well-being of your fish, regardless of the animal being a gift.

Your pond would need to be much larger than that. As has already been stated, the minimum tank for comets is 100 gallons. I used to breed these guys. At a year old, they were all at least twelve inches long and several inches thick. Our two-year-olds averaged fifteen inches. If your fish is already five inches long and lives in a five gallon tank, it is highly likely that this fish is already beginning to stunt. You need to rehome this fellow for the well-being of your fish, regardless of the animal being a gift.[/quote]
Sorry for my stupidity! I actually estimated the length and have never been good with that.:) Sorry:( he's actually 2.5 inches long. BTW sorry for being irresponsible and stupid, I swear that he isn't 5 in and is only 2.5 in. Also what does stunt mean? Again please excuse my extremely amazing stupidity

Stunting is when the body of the fish stops growing.  Unfortunately, the fish's organs continue to grow, which leads to pain and suffering.

It also forces the spine into cruel shapes. I'll post an image of a stunted comet for you to see.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back