My plants die

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Neon green algae, sounds perhaps could either be cyanobacteria, otherwise known as Blue Green Algae, BGA. An unsightly bactria growth, its not a true algae specifically. I won't go into details. But it should easily come off plants and rocks, a tootbrush works well for this actually. BGA usually found near the front glass on substrate.

But could also be just green spot algae, pretty normal in most tanks, easily taken off glass, again with a tootbrush or a algae/scrub pad. If left for a while, it can be stubborn to come off, a bit of elbow grease is required in that case P)

Here is a link I use sometimes when it comes to algae, can be useful as part of your research, some of that info is not entirely 100% but is a decent starting point.

James Planted Tank Algae Guide

Hope that helps a bit. Remember, most tanks have algae of sorts, I am exceptionally good at growing BBA .......:confused:

I've come to find I will try these plants,

Anubias Nana
Lobelia cardinalis mini

I would like to try also moss but I read they need higher light. I'm also thinking of adding driftwood and attach the Anubias to it.

What do you think, these are ok?

Last edited:
I have had good luck with hornwort, ludwigia, and java moss in a similar tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was the Java moss placed close up to the light , how was your placement?
Ludwigia type plant needs higher light I don't want to risk it.

Java moss is a low light plant, very undemanding really. Should grow under most lighting conditions.

Mine grows well under T8 lights, and is low set up.

Have not come across Lobelia cardinalis mini but the normal plant is a fairly easy plant to have, though does grow a bit too big for a Fluval Spec tank, hence hopefully the mini version will work out.

http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Lobeliacardinalis(053C)/4494

My java has been everywhere in my tanks and does just fine.

My ludwigia was listed under medium light at my lfs and I've had to do several trimming to keep in under control. I have it in a similar tank with LED lighting.

I thought Java moss needs higher light , is it the same across all moss variety? I can try it too.

Mine tend to grow slow down low but don't die. I use eco complete substrate and ocasional (1/2 times a month) dose with liquid fertilizer.

since there are no responses. i just wanted to post a pic of the algae growing to possibly ID so i can research it some more before i scrape it away. If it is not harmful i may just leave it a lone as it is pretty to me :)

Here is a quick pic of the stone effected.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0_K1FZY2wgBbU5IbERwLXRybUk/view?usp=sharing

I have trouble identifying algae from photos as there is no perspective depth. A green film (provided it is not the slimy cyanobacteria) is common algae and harmless. If it is fuzzy or tuft-like, it may be brush algae. The latter willnot easily come off with your fingertips. Brown algae that does easily wipe off is diatoms.

Algae is not in itself harmful, it is completely natural in an aquatic environment as there will be nutrients and light and that is all it requires. It is only when it begins to cover live plants that action is needed to control it, or it can slowly kill the plants by suffocating the leaves. Control involves balancing the light (intensity and spectrum factor in) and nutrients (naturally occurring and added).

Did I water change today. The algae is more hard and flat no fuzzy stuff.. (maybe bc it's still producing?) Anyways I will leave it a lone until I see things getting worse. It would of been nice to get some algae eating critters,. It my Betta would probably eat them lol.

Did I water change today. The algae is more hard and flat no fuzzy stuff.. (maybe bc it's still producing?) Anyways I will leave it a lone until I see things getting worse. It would of been nice to get some algae eating critters,. It my Betta would probably eat them lol.

There is a short type of brush algae as well as the more tuft-looking. I'll attach a photo of each types. Few fish will eat this. Otos will not, nor will pleco or Farlowella. There are two fish that will, but they are quite unsuitable for most tanks because of their size and/or their requirements.

Attachments

• brush algae1.jpg
    brush algae1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 117
  • brush algae2.jpg
    brush algae2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 124

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back