My Nitrite Show Up (Fish In Cycling)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BamBeckham

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My routine to test my cycling tank every evening after back from work, Today, I found my Nitrite already show up after almost a week. The reading:

pH 7.0,  Ammonia 2.0, Nitrite 0.25, Nitrate 5.0

After I did the WC the reading:

pH 7.2, Ammonia 1.0, Nitrite > 0 and < 0.25, Nitrate 5.0

2 days ago I added Stress Zyme (see image) to the Freshwater & Substrat for media filter. Looks like it's working.
Petaling-20130626-02706a.jpg

I have questions here, do I need adding the Zyme everytime I do the WC? Is it this Zyme not effecting my fish? I added less than 5ml for 18-20L Freshwater.

#Usually I do the WC everyday to make sure my tank are safe for my bichir.

I would be doing a lot more than one WC, you need to keep the ammonia down if you want your fish to survive without major health issues.

Skies said:
I would be doing a lot more than one WC, you need to keep the ammonia down if you want your fish to survive without major health issues.
Yeah I did. I'll monitor my tank everytime & make sure Amm & Nitrite less than 0.25, but my question is would be needed to add the Zyme everytime I do the WC? I've been told that the Stress Zyme contained millions of live bacteria & from the instruction at the bottle, adding 5ml for 10 US gallons.

Thanks

Am confused, Why did you add fish?

If you have nitrites then its very toxic to fish. Just as bad as ammonia.

Personally I have never met anyone who claimed that Stress Zyme works. As you have fish in the tank you need to be keeping your Ammonia and Nitrite at zero. These two are very toxic to fish.

techen said:
Am confused, Why did you add fish?

If you have nitrites then its very toxic to fish. Just as bad as ammonia.

toshapetriji said:
Personally I have never met anyone who claimed that Stress Zyme works. As you have fish in the tank you need to be keeping your Ammonia and Nitrite at zero. These two are very toxic to fish.

Hi toshapetriji & techen,

Thanks for your replied. FYI, I'm now do the fish in cycling.

Please refer:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/224306-fish-in-cycling/page-6

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/420516-how-to-take-care-black-ghost-knifefish/page-2

I know that I need to keep the ammonia & nitrite to be 0, but in cycling, I've to let my tank cycle normally & keep the amm & nitrite less than 0.25 until my cycling finish.

So now, I think it is started to produce the Nitrite which is after I've added a little Zyme. So my question is, do I need to add Zyme everytime I do the WC?

Thanks

Well in answer to your question, keep adding the Stress Zyme seeing as it wont do any harm and you already have it. I personally have never used it.

As far as Ammonia and Nitrite, I beg to differ. I would try to keep it at zero and not 0.25. 

With fish in the water a zero reading is not really zero as there will still be Ammonia in the water though at readings to low to measure and this will be enough to feed the bacteria.

Now my Nitrite regularly show up everytime I did the water test & of course I'm still doing the WC. What I'm saying is, if the Nitrite already increase, means my media filters already has the bacteria. 

The ammonia still there but not as much at the beginning of the cycling process.

Do I need to cleaned the filter? How about the sponge filter & media filter?

NO!!!!  Don't clan the filter.  You have bacteria, but not sufficient for the amount of ammonia produced.  Keep at it, you are making progress... 

Leave the filter until after you've finished cycling - even longer after that! :)

Sophie said:
Leave the filter until after you've finished cycling - even longer after that!
smile.png

eaglesaquarium said:
NO!!!!  Don't clan the filter.  You have bacteria, but not sufficient for the amount of ammonia produced.  Keep at it, you are making progress... 

Ok. Just asking, so the filter should not be cleaned forever? It will cause dirty sponge filter. Is that supposed to be? If I added another filter(perhaps more power than my current filter), what should I do? Replace it or run it both?

Thanks.

You can rinse the filter in old tank water, but not until your bacteria colony is estabished... not for some time yet.

Then after years and years of use, you can replace the sponge when it starts to disintegrate... but replace it in parts.

If adding a new filter, move the media from the current one over.  No need to run both.  The bacteria will move with the media.  Just fit it in anyway that you can.  It doesn't have to be pretty.

Hello guys,

We just talking about filter & now when I'm back from working, I found my filter stop. Do not know why & my tank are cloudy. I check the filter & the powerhead motor was not working. After some touch & tap a bit, then it is working. Quickly I do the WC. Before that I checked the water test & I got my pH 6.4, ammonia 0.5 & Nitrite 2.0.. I stop the filter while change the water, & when I on it back, it was not working again. So I do as per what I did previously. Then it is working now.

Just a question, If I do buy a new filter, then what supposedly I do to transfer everything from the old filter? I'm not sure how long my current filter can hold. 

IMG-20130624-02696a.JPG
My Filter is Crystal 2 Hang On. Power 4.5W, Max Output 400-550 L/H. Recommended Tank up to 60cm.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back