My Nine Day Old Pit Bull!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

attibones

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a gorgeous male pit bull named Boudreaux, who is intact. I'm an advocate for spaying and neutering, but my friend is broke and his mother won't pay for the neutering (I think she's decided to do it recently, though). Anyway, Garrett also has a gorgeous female boxer, and they had a litter of puppies, as dogs tend to do. I've been given the pick of the litter. I'm just so excited I can't contain myself!

This is Boudreaux, my puppy's father.
image_zpsa173ac9e.jpg

Here's my older pit bull, Ruca, who raised Boudreaux. She is not actually his mother though.
image_zpsa353fd15.jpg

I don't actually have a picture of the mother of the puppies, but this is my girl, who I plan to name Huxley.
image_zpsabebc3f6.jpg

image_zps4b52101d.jpg

I just needed to share my extreme excitement! She's going to look all pit, and her coat is going to lighten up to a more reddish tint. I'm hoping her nose stays all splotched like it is. She'll be long-legged like her daddy, but her head will look more like Ruca's because of the boxer in her. Yay! I'll be getting her when she's at the very least eight weeks old.

Awwww many congrats!
I'm hoping to get a border terrier crossed with a jack russell pup in about 6 weeks. Haven't seen it yet - waiting til their eyes open. So maybe next week all being well. My son has picked names for both a boy and a girl but we're going to wait til we've seen them before deciding or rather we'll see which one of them picks us!
Have already got a border terrier crossed with patterdale I think - he's 7 now. Was told they settle down at about 2 yrs old - still waiting! lol

Thanks guys! I've been told they'll keep me updated with pictures until I can go down to finally see her and make sure she's the one I want.

Mamashack said:
Awwww many congrats!
I'm hoping to get a border terrier crossed with a jack russell pup in about 6 weeks. Haven't seen it yet - waiting til their eyes open. So maybe next week all being well. My son has picked names for both a boy and a girl but we're going to wait til we've seen them before deciding or rather we'll see which one of them picks us!
Have already got a border terrier crossed with patterdale I think - he's 7 now. Was told they settle down at about 2 yrs old - still waiting! lol
The two year rule is true of all dogs, except smaller terriers (and some small breeds in general). Your dog just probably is one of those naturally hyped up dogs. My Theodore, a beagle mix, was wild as a baby, but right after he turned one year, he decided he would rather live the life of a couch potato. Unless you pick up a stick and let him see it. Then there's no calming him down until he's had several good throws.

He's a right giddy kipper when he gets going, but after a good walk he's happy to lounge about and snooze, preferably in my chair! We often have a difference of opinion about who it actually belongs to! lol

Sounds about right. They do seem to love what we love and assume they own that which we think is ours. Like the bed, or the lap, or privacy. Mine know how to open the bathroom door...

It's confirmed! I'll be going to get her in May! I'm trying to plan this around a weekend when Garrett will be in town, so he can see Ruca, too. He misses her like crazy. On May 5, they will be eight weeks old, so as soon as Garrett tells us he will be in town, I'm going to go pick her up! In preparation I picked up Cesar Milan's Guide to Raising the Perfect Dog.

Wahhhh! That's a coincidence! The dog I'll be having will be 8 weeks on 4th May!!! I've just rearranged my hols so I can be there all the time for the first week. Still haven't seen them yet, eyes are partially open, hoping it will be this weekend, but not sure yet.
I like CM's approach - he talks a lot of sense even if his approach is pure Hollywood. Would be great if he was over here instead!

That's really cool. My pup's eyes opened on Sunday. I think I'll be going to meet her at the end of April and then I'll think on it a week, get my bedroom set up so that her crate will be near my bed (my dog Theodore does not appreciate strange dogs getting in his bed, so I have to slowly introduce him to the idea of sharing), and the crate in the front living room will be ready too. And it'll give me a chance to pick up all the pretty little things she'll need. I'm dead set on a girl. Teddy needs a little sister. 

Do you know if you want a male or female? What are the names you have picked out? 

I love the way Cesar presents his information. He's a really good teacher, and I love how many examples he gives. I've used a few of his books with my other dogs, but I've been wanting to read this one for a while now. I really wish he would just be my live-in pack leader, but he won't do that, of course. I really love that he doesn't look at dogs by their breed (which is important to me because I keep pit bulls), and a lot of trainers say, "because you're dog is this, you must do this and treat them like this." I also like that he teaches to treat the dog like a dog and not a person, which I'm frequently doing.

Well I'm leaning towards a girl too altho we'll make a decision when we see them soon I hope. It's going to be my son's dog altho it will be living with me and Freddy (my dog) as he can't have pets where he lives. He'd picked names a soon as getting a pup was suggested Rusty for a boy and Rosie or Ruby for a girl. Will see what they look like when we meet them - a totally different name may spring to mind then.
Had to take Freddy to the vet's at midnight last night - he was in a lot of pain and really distressed. Turns out he's got an anal gland infection. He was bright as a button when we left the vet's (typical!) and as far as I know he's slept since he didn't whine during the night. He has a cage in the kitchen, but I can hear him if he makes any noise which he sometimes does if he feels I should be getting up! lol He's not a happy doggy this morning tho - will be ringing them when they open this morning for further advice.

Awful luck! Usually that happens when a dog's anal glands get too compacted. Smaller breeds have to have them expressed by a human at least once a month. I have to do both of my little dogs' twice a month. Do you know how to feel for an anal gland? This could be beneficial to helping you know when the infection is cleared too. His glands are probably sore now. I'd watch him for a while before the vet again.

Ruby is a cute name, but I know a lot of dogs named Ruby. If that's what the kid likes, then that's it.

Ruby is a cute name, but I know a lot of dogs named Ruby. If that's what the kid likes, then that's it.

Haha the kid in question is 30! lol

Re the anal glands - the vet can do that - I know I'm a nurse and should perhaps be used to things like that but I really do not fancy sticking my finger up his back-side TBH

It's done externally. It's a very handy trick, actually.

30? I was thinking more along the lines of ten! Haha!

I know - I only look 40 so it seems impossible I have a 30 yr old son! (I wish! lol)
The reason I'll be housing the pup is that he can't have a dog where he lives. He adores my dog and would love one of his own so this will be my 30th birthday present to him instead. I might as well be tied to 2 dogs as 1.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back