My new obsession: Mystery snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Demeter32

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ever since I found out the new pet store sells mystery snails (rarely do I ever see them) I've been checking to see what new color forms they have in stock. My first purchase was a lovely blue guy/girl (not that great at sexing them yet). There's a little bit of wear on the tip of its spiral, but that was there when I got it. Why is his/her little face so darn cute?
IMG_0820.JPG

Mystery snail 4-4-17.JPG

The next two snails I bought at the same time. A large golden one and a tiny brown/chestnut colored one. I thought for sure the brown one was going to die on me, but then it started moving around after a week of being stationary. Don't have any pics of them yet as I thought they might die on me, but now that they've lived for a few weeks they need their pics taken. Those will come later.

Just today, I looked in their snail tank and found loads of adorable new babies, about as big as my pinky nail. There were several new colors, some different shades of purple/pink and golden browns. I couldn't pass them up so I took a dark purple and a lighter colored on, seems to be rosy with some darker striping. They're in a breeder box for now so they can grow more. They'll have a constant supply of duckweed to much on.
IMG_0942.JPG

They look far better in the water.
IMG_0944.JPG
IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

I'm going to possibly try getting some clutches from these 5 snails. Once they are all of a decent size I'll throw them all together in the same tank and see what happens. Anyone have tips on how to sex them I would be very happy to hear.

Side note: the lady selling them said they were apple snails, but aren't apples snails and mystery snails the same? I know some varieties get much larger, but I am quite sure these are all the same species (maybe the golden one is of a larger variety). What's the difference?

Side note: the lady selling them said they were apple snails, but aren't apples snails and mystery snails the same?
Yes they are Apple snails.

I keep saying Mystery/Apple snails make great pets in their own right.

Good to know, I've always wondered what the difference was.

I think a planted tank with dozens of different colored snails would be amazing on its own. Definitely agree that the mystery snails make interesting pets.

Squash, cucumbers, duck weed and algae wafers are their main diet. The red rams and other snails I have seem to do well w/o added calcium care, but I have noticed that when the red rams I keep in betta cups become over crowded their shells begin to get the characteristic white pits and deteriorate quickly. I have cuttle bones if need be (we have a cockatiel).

I can't say for sure if our water is soft, but the pH is at 7.8 and the tanks do get the buildup of minerals at the water line so I would say it is hard water? It's well water so I can't look up the parameters like I would be able to if I lived in a city/town.

Great wedsite btw, very useful and the embryology section was pretty neat. I can say for certain now that all my snails are Pomacea diffusa.

I find that they are pests and do best in a species tank, they eat plants, they produce a heavy bio load, and are prolific breeders, while they are the Ideal pet for a biggner I find them annoying, just putting my thoughts out there

I think it really depends on the species of apples snail. The average mystery snail Pomacea diffusa doesn't usually eat plants but they will munch on the softer ones (in my case duckweed). Other species of apple snails do eat live plants but I don't feel that the species I have are hard on my plants. All the crypts and other plants are untouched by them as of yet.

Also, I would think it is easy to control their population by removing the egg clusters from the tank hood, or simply keeping all of one gender or a single specimen. I will agree with you on a species only tank, lots of different color variations and being able to keep their long tentacles in tact would be a lovely sight.

Try this. Even your Kuhli loaches will love it.
Homemade Snail Food Recipes

I will have to make a list of various things to buy next time I run to town, I've already got some blood worms, frozen plankton, cucumbers, squash and I might as well throw some broccoli in there as well. I just don't have any gelatin.

and are prolific breeders
Thats easy to fix, as Mystery snails lay their eggs in a sack above the water line you just remove the egg sack.

they produce a heavy bio load,
Yes they are poop machines.

I think it really depends on the species of apples snail. The average mystery snail Pomacea diffusa doesn't usually eat plants but they will munch on the softer ones (in my case duckweed). Other species of apple snails do eat live plants.
Exactly.

I've got them moved around, they were going to be in the 20gal long sorority tank, buuut the girls think their tentacles taste good. The 2 little ones are in Grey's tank in a breeder box (I want to make sure they are getting food) and the 3 others are in the 10gal planted tank with Otabek, who does not nip at them, and the kuhli loaches, and a nerite snail.

Couldn't find the little brown one among the plants, the only snail you can see is the nerite at the water line.
5-6-17.JPG

bluemytery-5-6-17.JPG

The wear on the shell was like that when bought. I didn't get much of a chance to choose the one I wanted. This one also has a funky double tentacle on one side and a slightly odd eye
goldmystery 5-6-17.JPG

Grey's tank is the next one to be dirted and planted. We're going to the big city (for petco) so I can finally get some black sand and probably a few more female bettas (YAY!) It may look horrible now (I agree) but I'm working on it.
Greytank5-6-17.JPG

I bought an ivory snail on Monday and a nice glass hinged top for the tank. Now the snails have something to lay eggs on w/o escaping the tank. Is it just me or does it look like the ivory one ate some sand?
4 mysteries.JPG

I also made snail jello about an hour ago. I used cucumber, squash, carrots, broccoli, shrimp pellets, spirulina flakes, an egg shell, and blood worms. 2 packets of the un-flavored gelatin and a bit of water mixed in after blending it real well, it filled up an ice cube tray perfectly. It's pretty much set but I threw it in the freezer, I'll try using a bit tonight.

How did the snello work out?

The bits of egg shell didn't break down into powder, so there's white specs all throughout it. Hopefully it doesn't effect the critters if they eat a few pieces. Otherwise it is solid and I don't think it will dissolve in the water. It should be appetizing to all, it smells kinda like a freshly cut hey field mixed with broccoli.

I've only fed it to the rams horns as of yet. I want to make sure when I toss it in the bettas won't eat it up, so the others will have to wait till lights out.

I tried sexing the 3 larger snails a little while ago, the gold one wouldn't come out and I'm fairly sure the blue and ivory are females. That means if the gold is also female then I'll have to wait for the juveniles to grow up before I get any eggs. *impatiently waits*

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back